Day Nineteen

Day nineteen. *unedited*

I spent the rest of the evening chatting to Georgie on the phone, Georgie the same girl who had somehow managed to detach herself from her other half a.k.a. Rory, don’t get me wrong I loved the two as a couple but they were sometimes a bit too attached to each other, sometimes all I wanted was a full-length conversation without any interruptions from Rory or to receive my daily dose of optimism from Georgie, that wasn’t too much to ask for was it?

Georgie sounded far too optimistic and chirpy for someone who was talking on the phone after ten in the evenings, I was talking in hushed tones half afraid that Sophie would accuse me of stealing her friends, but we couldn’t exactly go spreading Finch’s big secret, it was his secret to tell and not ours.

“Of course I knew he lived in a care-home,” Georgie began in an annoying matter-of-fact way, “I had no idea why he called people by their first name, well everyone except Sophie and I, and now you and Rory. I just accepted it as one of Finch’s little quirks like his riddles, I didn’t think much of it, I didn’t realise that it had a deeper meaning.” Georgie said droning on as if she was speaking a monologue.

“I didn’t know that either,” I said shrugging before realising that she couldn’t see me shrugging, “well although that is pretty obvious otherwise I wouldn’t have asked him the question,” I said bashfully tripping over my words.

“It was a good question,” Georgie interjected before her tone turns into a more curious tone, “did you know that Finch grew up in a care-home?” She asked curiously, “you didn’t seem all that surprised, plus let’s face it Finch was very laidback when answering the question,” she finished with a note of finality in her tone.

“Yeah,” I said,  “I did,” the conversation then evolves into a discussion about the upcoming exams that we should all be spending the Easter holidays (if not before) revising for, I grimaced at the current moment revising for my exams had found its way to the bottom of my priorities. But that I decided would all change tomorrow, even if there was only two days left of the twenty day challenge.

“Bye Georgie,” I said hanging up and I watched as the phone went dead, I  spent the remains of the evening before I went to bed organising my revision and deciding what subjects I would begin revision for tomorrow.

I went downstairs to get a glass of water to soothe my sore throat before going to bed, surprisingly enough my father was slouching on the sofa, his eyes wide awake like an eyes but there were the odd moments when they began to droop. “Going to bed Ivy?” He asked, it’s not a command or instruction, but I knew that he was gently prodding me to say ‘yes.’

I nodded before getting some water and falling into a dreamless sleep as I let my subconscious also fall asleep.

The next day I awoke with a crick in my neck, I rubbed my eyes trying my hardest to adjust to the light that was streaming through my bedroom. I had breakfast before accidently spilling all the milk from my cereal on my pyjamas, as soon as I was dressed and ready I opened my books and began the thing I had been dreading, and postponing for goodness knows how long.

Revision. It was strange how much that one single, solitary word could make my blood run cold, I decided to logically start with the subject I liked least, Science, I hated science with a passion, but knowing me I would look for any excuse not to do science revision. At least I thought silently to myself I would be able to drop it in September, and with that hope I carried on revision with a pack of Smarties, and every fifteen minutes I rewarded myself a Smartie, it was a good tactic and it eased out the initial pain of revision but I wasn’t long before I ran out of Smarties.

When I had finished both Geography and Science, the doorbell hoped, and it was Finch, I smiled at Finch when he approached, although his eyebrows disappeared under his sheath of hair when he approached by the pure surprise of the amount of work that I was trying (and not very successfully) to tackle all at once.