Day Fifteen

Day fifteen. *unedited*

 I didn’t see Sophie for the rest of the night, I tried my hardest not to let it get to me but I was worried, secretly I was worried that something had happened to my sister, I resumed back to my normal pessimistic self-brushing of all the tips that I had learnt from Georgie, I was either paranoid or I had physic abilities and the latter wasn’t exactly realistic now was it?

I was going crazy, which I supposed wasn’t entirely the worst thing that could happen, after all in my experience all the best people were a little bit crazy to say the least, and Finch would be a prime example of this. I would be talking to myself next, and I would try to convince myself that nothing was wrong and I was simply being paranoid. I phoned her; multiple times but she wasn’t picking up and all I received in response was the dull tone of the answer-phone. By now it was the early hours in the morning and I knew I couldn’t dare to bother Rory, Finch or Georgie (neither of them with the possible exception of Georgie were morning people after all).

But where had she gone, where could she have possibly gone? I was worried, and possibly overreacting as usual but it wasn’t a very welcoming thought knowing that you were completely alone in the world, or in this case your house.

I fell asleep in an erratic, fitful daze with the slight glimmer of hope that when I woke up Sophie would be sitting at the table pretending that nothing had happened. The adrenaline of skipping school had finally run out and I was starting to regret it as my worry started to slowly take over both my conscious and subconscious.

Sophie wasn’t there when I woke up, in fact she was nowhere to be seen, I called both Finch and Georgie but neither of them had heard from her, (there was little point phoning Rory  and Jen because they weren’t exactly best buddies now where they?) Georgie might have missed the urgency in my tone but Finch didn’t and he tried my hardest to console it.

“But what if she’s gone, gone for good?” I asked empathising the syllables in my sentences, “what if I’ve truly lost her?” I asked letting my worry get the better of me, but I had never been in this position before, up until now Sophie was always home in the morning unless she was at a sleepover or something. But as a wise man once said there was a first time for everything.

“It’ll be fine,” Finch said but he didn’t sound so sure, did he know something about Sophie’s whereabouts? I spent a few more minutes biting my lips wishing that someone would come to console me, wishing that my sister would come home, praying that she was alright, and funnily enough one of my wishes did come true only it was the least important one. The doorbell rang, and I knew straightaway it wasn’t Sophie (who would just be able to let herself in) it was Finch who smiled sweetly with a pack of bagels choosing to ignore my bedraggled state.

“Have a bagel,” he said still smiling, it was the type of smile that was eerie and somewhat creepy, and how could he remain so positive? I grabbed a bagel and ate it, “it’ll be fine,” Finch promised, the promise was far-fetched not one that he would necessarily be able to keep, what if something had happened to her? What if…?

“Did you get any sleep last night?” He asked examining me closely, I shook my head, “well there’s no point worrying when she’s probably just fine,” Finch said trying to muster an optimistic tone (where’s Georgie when you need her?) his efforts died in vain, but it was the sensible thing to do, the best thing to do was to act like everything was normal. “We’ll just get to school and if she’s not home after school then we call the police,” he said evenly.

“Okay,” I said getting up quickly, I felt dizzy, sick, nauseous as if all my worst fears had been combined. I got ready, trying to resist the temptation to fall back on my bed and try to sleep, which would never work anyway on account of how active my subconscious was. Finch nodded but he made no indication of leaving as he flicked on the TV and casually surfed through all the channels on offer.