Day Twelve

Day twelve. *unedited*

“You’re not my babysitter!” Sophie screams before hurtling a pillow at Finch; at the rate he was going he would find pillows his mortal enemy just by looking at them. “Where I go is none of your business!” She screamed, Finch must’ve hit a nerve somewhere. I don’t know how but Finch remains relatively calm despite the fact that he is constantly being hit with a pillow and shrugged.

“I kinda am,” he said smugly adding to her babysitter remark, “and it’s no-one’s fault but your own,” he said cockily only deepening the mystery of Sophie’s mystery illness further, Sophie sees red and scans the room for something other than a pillow to hit Finch with, in a blur, a flurry everything happens, Finch whizzed out the room sensing danger like an animal, Sophie followed him so quick it takes a few moments for me to fix my now blurry vision, I dropped the brownies in a mild panic but it didn’t look like anyone was in the mood for eating them anyway.

“Oliver James Finch,” Sophie yelled from the far end of the garden rapidly catching up with Finch, Uh, oh I thought quietly to myself it was never a good sign when surnames were used. “Stop it,” she said quietly her voice barely audible.

“Stop what?” Finch said smiling cocking his head so that his ear was touching his shoulder.

“Being you!” Sophie said her voice raising so it settles on an octave higher, it sounds weirdly high-pitched as if she is still anxious but trying to remain calm for whatever reason, it sounds like a quarrel between siblings, the older protective brother looking out for his younger sister. It is only then that I realise that this is what Sophie and Finch’s relationship has been like all along; brother and sister, the world may’ve seen them as a couple but they only saw themselves as best friends or maybe siblings.

“Tell me where you were,” Finch said climbing down so that he was only a few meters from Sophie, his expression is earnest and I see Sophie squirming in displeasure and wringing her hands in discomfort which only added to my curiosity.

“I was at Georgie’s,” she lied unconvincingly but after darting a quick look in our direction, “okay I was at Noah’s,” she said somewhat reluctantly, Noah it was the second time in just a few hours that I’d heard that name.

“Sophie-,” Finch called out warningly she sends him a withering glare and he stops mid-sentence, letting silence dominate our conversation. “You know what happened with Georgie and Ali and how he broke Gee’s heart, I don’t want that to be you,” he said his tone bitterly, sweet. If this was a tone in a book or a film the whole audience would go aw, but I doubt Sophie would appreciate my contribution to an already awkward conversation.

“I can take care of myself,” she said before stomping off into the distance, “gosh I don’t know whether you see me as a friend or a younger sibling sometimes,” she said irritated, annoyance apparent in her tone, I grimaced.

“Uh-,” Finch mumbled when he comes into view, I shook my head the less I knew the better, all mysteries would be revealed when it was time, and I didn’t really want to hear the story of his relationship with Sophie. Neither of us particularly want to be alone after that outbursts, we both make sure that the clock and door is in the corner of our peripheral vision at all times, if only Sophie would come back…

It’s a Sunday and I’ve barely done any homework or revising for that matter during the weekend, my life had become so hectic recently that homework was by far the least of my problems, I had started to be dragged into everyone else’s problems and mine were fading, evaporating into the mist.

As I get up Finch sends me a withering, pitying look but there is something else in his expression, his facial expressions may say one thing but his eyes tell a different story, he doesn’t want me to go, he doesn’t want to be alone and that is my first glance of the real Oliver Finch and not the one that hides behind the popular alter-ego.