Day Seventeen

Day Seventeen [Saturday] Unedited

About a minute after I had finished speaking there was only silence, only silence, silence dawned on the room and I wasn’t altogether sure whether silence was a good thing or a bad thing. Then someone (although I have my suspicions that it was Finch) started to clap, and this was then followed by a slow rumble of applause which continued to grow like the bang of a drum, I smiled as people began whistling and cheering, I felt proud of my achievements, I had been thrown into the limelight and I had enjoyed it.

“Well done!” Georgie shrieked right in my ear as I drew near, Jennifer, Rory who are now joined by Riley nodded in agreement, Sophie enveloped me into a hug and I hi-five Finch, out of all the weird and crazy scenarios I had invented for myself this most certainly wasn’t one of them, but sometimes reality was better than our dreams.

“I can’t believe I’m going to say this but-,” Sophie began sounding out of breath, which was quite ridiculous since it was me who delivered the mile long speech, all she had to do there is sit there and listen, “I’m so glad you didn’t use my speech!” She said before breaking out into a smile, “honestly what you said everyone could tell that it came straight from the heart!”

“Well done Watts,” Finch replied, “didn’t think you had it in you,” he said solemnly but I doubt his words, if he didn’t think I had it in me why would he bother to set the challenge in the first place? I felt as if I was on top of the world or on cloud nine or on some other equivalent, my energy may have been drained but nothing  could put a dampen on my mood.

“I swear that if you aren’t voted for year twelve school council then a) it isn’t fair and b) it’s all a fix, I swear I’ll complain to Mrs Conway-,” Sophie said putting her hands on her hips dramatically, as Georgie rolled her eyes and Finch shook his head. “I think I’ll stop talking now,” she said sheepishly shrugging before looking a little mortified at her actions.

“Well it’s up to year eleven to vote,” I replied diplomatically, who knew which direction the other year eleven’s (my classmates) would vote? Excluding me there were three other candidates running for the role of female form rep, and there were two boys running for the role of male form rep.

“That was a good speech,” someone said pinching me from behind, and let’s just say that it hurt, quite a lot to be precise, I turn around quicker than lighting but no-one is making any indication that they were the speaker, one thing was for sure the piece of random and unexpected praise came from someone outside my group of friends.

“That was a very good speech congratulations,” A voice said in the near-distance I looked up to see Mr Rimmer with his lips twitching, “not enough to get you out of detention but still a good speech,” he said with a note of finality in his tone, did he really have to remind me of my detention now? And worse still I got hear Sophie and Finch giving sniggers of disbelief in the background.

“Thank you sir,” I said before turning back to the person speaking, who just so happened to be Julie the most popular girl in the school who was a shoo in for the win until her trusty sidekick Zoe decided to compete against her, she was my main competition and probably the person who was most likely to bribe people into voting for her.

We wouldn’t be told who won until after the holidays, today everyone would be voting who they wanted to win and on the first day back after the holidays there would be a big important assembly announcing the representatives for the following year.  

“And I think that I should be a member of the school council because I listen to people and I’ll make sure that everyone gets a say in how the school is run, plus I believe that Year eleven’s should get some free study periods like the sixth form do! Please nominate me! And I’m sure you’ll pick the right person to win i.e. me!” Julie finished and I rolled my eyes, what was the point of everything she just said? Free study periods? Well we all knew that those wouldn’t be used effectively anyway it would be kind of hard to arrange free periods when everyone had a chock o bloc schedule.