Day One.

*unedited*

Day one.

"You can't be serious..." I muttered hopelessly, was this an effort in vain to wind me up?

"I'm deadly serious, anyway I have a proposition," Finch replied.

"What is it?" I asked not wanting to know, but as always curiosity got the better of me.

"The 20 day challenge, I'll set you one challenge a day for twenty days to do something that scares you," Finch said smirking, "of course you probably won't accept, you're too scared of the consequences..." Me? Scared? Scared is not a word commonly used in my vocabulary, and I wasn't going to start using it now.

"Fine, it's a deal," I finished, too tired to argue, before going up to my bedroom.

The whole ordeal must've worn me out, or maybe it was the fact that the teachers had piled homework on us on the first day back after half term. That and the fact that in less than a month I would be sitting exams that would affect my whole future. No matter how I tried I couldn't concentrate as my curiousity remained unsatisfied.

Even though I knew that exams should take a priority over my curiosity, I was still curious as to why Finch was under the impression that he was my new roommate, I went downstairs and saw that he was still slouched on the sofa and I doubted that he had even bothered to move in the past half an hour, "why are you here?" I asked.

"I needed a place to crash," he said simply and he offered no further explanation.

"Well you can't stay here my parents would go mental," I said annoyed.

"I already asked them," Finch replied.

"Are you going to tell me why you need to stop here?" I asked annoyed, I needed a further explanation, after all would you let one of the most popular boys in school stay in your house when you know next to nothing about them?

"No, and no, before you ask I'm not running from the police, I just had an argument with my parents that's all," he said simply and as vaguely as possible, I rolled my eyes knowing that he was going to tell me on anymore. Although I wasn't particularly pleased with the fact that I would be roomies with him for goodness knows how long,  it looked as if I had very little choice in the matter. But what sort of argument drives a son away from his parents?

When I ventured upstairs I tackled my science homework first, however after I had finished I fell asleep on my book, by the time I had woken up it was nearly 10 o'clock in the evening. Well at least I know now what happens after the holidays when you're sleeping patterns are severely messed up.

A single, solitary slip of paper had been pushed through the door of my bedroom. The handwriting was untidy and was written in a faintly, recognisable scrawl... My eyes scanned over the words, but it wasn't a message for my parents or Sophie. It was a message from the person I least expected it to be.

What costs nothing

but is worth everything,

weighs nothing, but can last a lifetime,

that one person can't own,

but two or more can share? -Finch.

Oh, great it's only the first day back, and I'm already being stretched to my limit, and Finch decides that now is a good time to post riddles through my door?

One thing is for sure the riddle has definitely woken me up, it had trigged off the determined streak in my brain, and I knew I wouldn't be able to rest until I figured it out.