11: *Bear Grylls Voice* The Wild Peter Wentz Makes His First Move

Patrick was at lunch by himself, Brendon being in a class taking a test. Matty was gone too, leaving Pete to wander over and sit by Patrick instead of with the soccer kids.
"Hey," he'd began hesitantly. "You mind? I don't want to deal with douchebags and Matty isn't here today."

"No, not at all." Patrick smiled up at Pete. "Brendon's taking a test for one of his classes."

Pete smiled, settling himself into the seat and leaning back. For whatever reason, he liked his company other than the fact that he had a crush on him. He was so nice, and usually so calm. Well, of course, he also liked to drive like a bat out of hell, but that wasn't the biggest of concerns. 

"I had fun on Saturday," Pete told him, "surprisingly so, I think. I don't know, I'd never done anything like that before."

"It's been a long time since I've been really offroading," Patrick admitted with a small laugh. "I mean, I figured out how to drive it for that purpose beforehand obviously, but..."

"Jesus, Patrick, I'm glad I didn't ask beforehand," Pete mused, shaking his head. He found himself laughing gently, but after that went back to eating the lunch he'd bought. "Do you have a job?"

He shook his head. "Not yet, but I'm gonna get one over the summer...Don't know what I'll do, but I want to be able to make my own money, y'know? My parents just got me a car, I'm gonna have no money for a couple months." Patrick paused, glancing up at him. "Do you have a job?"

Pete, as well, shook his head. "No." Pause. "Hey, you like music, right?"

"Yeah, of course."

"My dad owns a record label, and he's looking for people to hire over the summer. It's basically a paid internship, if you're interested." Pete looked up from his cheeseburger at Patrick, pausing at the sight of the expression the smaller boy had on his face. "I mean, my dad does a lot of stuff, the record label is just on the side, but-"

"No! No, it's not that. It's just...holy smokes." Patrick shook his head, rubbing his face. "No, yeah, I'd be so down, that sounds really cool." If the record label is just on the side...holy shit... "What- um, what label is it?"

"Decaydance," Pete answered simply, shrugging afterwards like it wasn't that big of a deal.

Patrick concluded in that moment that Pete always looked fucking loaded for a reason, and that was it. "Yeah, no, I'm really interested," he said, producing a smile. 

"It's a pretty cool job," Pete told him, "I did it last year, but my dad wants more than just me this year. It takes more than one extra intern to do all the work." Pause. "Who knows, we might get a couple new artists in this summer."

Patrick nearly gagged at that. "Wait, seriously?!"

"Yeah...?"

"Sign me the heck up." 

The other boy found himself chuckling softly, texting his father quickly and letting him know that there was someone for the job. Patrick was adorable, like a little saint that happened to land on Earth and stay. He was pure, and part of Pete wondered if that's why he was so intrigued by Patrick. Mikey had been the opposite of pure- he'd been as muddied and dirtied as Pete was regularly. 

But, there was just something different about the boy that sat across from him in the seat at the opposite end of the table. He couldn't put his finger on it, exactly, but he knew well enough that it was something he wanted.

After they finished their lunches, they ended up leaving to walk around the campus. Most kids were sitting down somewhere and eating, but some played basketball on the free courts, tossed around a football, or played with a hacky sack. Wandering was nice, and the change was appreciated.