Chapter:7

"Come on! Let's go!" I luckily already had clothes picked out and slept in the tank top I was wearing today. She burst into my room ready for today. "Give me a minute to change and we'll go get breakfast too." I told her.

She closed my door before I slipped into some ripped jeans and socks along with a sports bra under my tank top. I stuck my wallet in my back pocket and grabbed my phone.

Then snuck into the living room where she was waiting. "Hair brushed? Would your dad take you in public like that?" I asked. "My bag is too noisy to get it out." She said. I grabbed mine and a hair tie.

I French braided her hair before we left. Once in town I bought her donuts just to pass the time until the stand opened. Once it did we went and picked out some pretty good ones.

I got some high dollar ones that I thought would be cool to shoot off including a patriotic one. I even found some little stuff to play with during the day too. She was giggling by the time I was paying for the stuff.

"Your dad is definitely going to flip." I said as we were on the way back to the ranch. "Hey you were the one wanting to get fireworks." She countered. "Good point." I said.

Once back I parked the truck and helped her out. They were all sitting on the front porch talking. "Daddy! Daddy! Wait until you see what we got!" Bella said. "We'll get some of the daylight ones out this evening." I said. "But first we've got to move the cattle so they won't spook."

They agreed and we all pitched in to move cattle back. By afternoon the cattle were moved and I started cooking for tonight. Their families arrived as soon as I finished the desserts. Bella helped me of course. When we were done with that we took it and set it on a table in the living room.

"Wow something sure smells good." J.B said walking in. "That would be the new dessert Bella made. "Um Chesney?" I hurried to the kitchen. "What is it?" I asked.

I then saw I left a burner on. I turned it off then turned the oven off. "Thanks for the reminder." I said before pulling a bowl out. I handed it to J.B who was standing in the doorway then got another out and led the way to the dessert table.

"How much did you make?" He asked. "A lot." I said. "Sure looks that way." He said. "Hey when your raised in the south your guaranteed to have leftovers from any big get together." I said.

"Ain't that true." He said. I giggled at him agreeing. The three of us went outside to greet people. I helped carry food inside and went back out. It was still bright enough to light a few things. "Hey Bella wanna go get some firecrackers out of the backseat?" I asked her. "Yeah!" She yelled and followed me to the truck.

There was an extra set of boots behind me moving quicker than I was. "What on earth did she want?" J.B asked. She found the bag of smoke bombs and other things. "First let's find everything before we decide." I said to her.

She held the bag as I pulled several big things from the backseat. "What in the world?" J.B said as I handed this one huge set to him to hold. "Hey I found some things too." I said pulling another thing from the backseat.

"Oh these are fun to dance on." I said. Then stuck them in the kids bag. I pulled some more fireworks out setting them in the bed. "Oh you found several big things for the adults." He finally said.

"No kidding. Got there right as the guy opened and paid good money on it." I said. After the back was empty he asked another question. "Did Bella ride up front?"

"J. She was fine. Hardly anyone ever drives that road. Worst that could have happened was a deer jumping out into the road and me hitting the breaks. Besides she was buckled up and sat still." I told him partially lying about her sitting still.

"But still." He said. "She was safe. That's all that matters. I had to drive my little brothers to school everyday when I was sixteen up until I graduated high school. They were about her age when I started driving too." I said.

The worry on his face disappeared. A car pulled up. "And there's my ex wife, her mom." He said. "Why is she here?" Bella asked. "I don't know baby girl." He said to her. "I'll deal with this. While you deal with that." I said taking the bag from her and setting it in the bed.

He stuck the bigger ones in the bed and went to go talk to her. A few minutes later he came back with Bella. "She's taking Bella with her in the morning back to North Carolina." He whispered into my ear.

I nodded. "Can we still light some things tonight?" She asked. I looked at J.B. "What do you wanna do first?" He asked her. I grabbed the bag and set a few things out. She picked out the smoke bombs and a few poppers.

After the small stuff was the big stuff. Bella wasn't allowed to move from her mother's side just because she didn't know any of us. Before the bigger display Bella came in wanting a few more cookies.

"How many have you had tonight miss Mauney?" I asked her. "Five." She answered. "Why don't you eat a watermelon slice?" I asked. She nodded and grabbed one of them instead.

I followed her out as the larger display started. After it I got a shower I went to bed. Tears filled my eyes. I sobbed letting them rack my body. I didn't hear the door open or close. "He hurt you bad didn't he?" I nodded.

"He thought I was more of a trophy than a person." I said. I felt a rough thumb under my eyes then lips against my neck. I felt at ease as he ran his hand down my thigh and back up.

He slipped his hand beneath the tank top I had on. "You've never been shown how you were supposed to be loved by a husband or man." He said. I rolled over facing him. He ran a hand through my hair before kissing me.