Chapter:6

I sat atop the fence watching the cows. I had just released a bull out and was watching him. He meandered around the group a while. The sun was setting off in the distance. The guys had offered to cook supper tonight so I had nothing to do. The Fourth of July was tomorrow.

"Chesney." I turned around seeing Bella behind me. "Yes?" "May I sit with you?" She asked. "Sure." I said. She got up on the fence with me on the rail below me. "Daddy said he'd be the main cook tonight." She said.

"So I take it he's not saying what's for supper?" I asked. She shook her head. "No." She said. "Come up here. It's more comfortable." I said. She sat up next to me holding onto my arm.

I put an arm around her holding her on the fence. The sun was slowly lowering. In the distance. "I'd say there's about thirty minutes left of daylight. Why don't you go ask if you could go on a quick trail ride past those trees so we could see it better." I said.

She jumped off the fence and ran inside. Then came back a few short minutes later. "Let's go!" She said. I followed her to the barn. "Let's take mine and give yours a rest." I told her.

She stood back as I led the cutter out of his stall. "He's pretty." She said. "Thank you. I bought him in the fall as a helper." I told her as I helped her onto his back.

She held onto his mane as I led him to the tack room at the end of the barn. I changed the halter for a hackamore and led him outside with her still holding on.

"So I won't fall off?" She asked. "Nope. This gelding is hard to spook and loves children." I told her as I opened the gate. "Here walk him through." I said handing her the reins. She rode him through the gate. I closed it behind them and got on without any help except upper arm strength.

I wrapped an arm around her and took the reins. "Ready?" I asked. She nodded. I sent the horse into a lope once we passed the tree line I didn't stop until reaching the ridge. "Oh wow." She said.

"This is my favorite view on the entire ranch." I told her. "It's my favorite too." She said. After watching it sink farther I finally had to pull away. "Come on your dad will get worried if he isn't already." I said. She nodded.

I turned the horse around and loped him back passed the tree line and to the gate. "Hold tight." I said before we sailed over it. After landing I slowed him down. "That was awesome! Can we do it again?" She asked. I saw J.B out the corner of my eye.

"Maybe some other time." I said pulling the horse to a stop and dismounting. She held onto the reins and mane as I led him to the barn. Once inside J.B helped her off while I put the gelding's halter back on.

"Daddy you should have seen it! It was so cool!" She exclaimed. "I bet." He said holding her. "Oh can we do the fireworks there tomorrow night?" She asked. "We would if the cattle weren't there and I don't know where else to put them. Sorry." I told her.

I could see her wanting to pout. "How about we go and pick fireworks out tomorrow. I know a stand close by. If that's ok with your dad." I said. "Fine by me. As long as she's back before lunch." He said. Her face lit up.

"It's not too far from here about half a mile out of town." I said as we walked back up to the house. At the house he told Bella to go wash up. "She's never gotten attached to anyone except family not even my last wife." He said as we stood outside.

"I see her more of a girl that wants to spend time with her father than anything. She went over to watch the sun set with me and I offered to take her out to continue watching it." I said. "She's a good girl. She try's to help and wants to do things." He said.

"Definitely has a passion for cattle and horses." I said. "Gets that from me." He said. "She does." I said. "We should get inside and eat if we're going to be up early tomorrow." He said. "Agree. I'm starving." I said as we went inside. I kicked my boots off and washed my hands.

Then fixed a plate for myself. Bella was already at the table eating her plate of food. I sat down where she wanted me to sit. J.B was on the other side of her.

Looks like burgers tonight. I took a bite and silently moaned. "I know dad's burgers are to die for." Bella said. "Spoke my mind." I said. I glanced over at J.B who was looking at her with admiration.

He loved her and there was no doubt about it.