Chapter 11: When One Dies Another Is Born

(Recap: James and Millicent find out from her mom that he father is back and she remembers how he used to torture her and her mom tells her to stay at James' house but sneaks off to prom where they come in contact with Magnus Constantine Ross, Millicent's father. They are in the bathroom when he finds them and threatens to kill Millicent in front of James.)

----------------------------------------------

I heard the footsteps get closer to our stall and the both of us stiffened even more as James' hand grew tighter around my mouth. I heard whoever it was bang into each stall before finally pausing at our stall.

And that's when all hell broke loose.

I knew who it was even before they came into the bathroom. It would always be the person that found me and my mom, even if we fell off the face of the Earth. No matter what, he always found us.

My father.

He broke the locks of the stall which made the door swing and bounce back off the wall and their stood my dad. James suddenly turned me around and pulled me towards him even closer. It's has been a while since I last saw his brooding face up close. Magnus stood there, intensely looking at me and James. I looked up at James to see where his stance was. His jaw was set, his hand around my waist was in a fist, and I don't think I've ever seen his eyes look so menacing and black before.

Suddenly my father, Magnus Constantine Ross, reached his hand out to grab my forearm which was holding onto James' arm rather tightly. Before I could process what was happening, I was torn away from my only sense of protection I had and was put into a head lock with a wooden stake suddenly hovering over my heart. At this point I was shaking like crazy and crying so much that I probably looked like a raccoon right now. I didn't try to fight back because I knew that if he survived this entire time, he would be much stronger and faster than me besides the fact that he's a guy. I knew with on hit he could knock me out for a long time which was not something I needed right now.

I then saw James step out of the stall looking like he was ready to rip somebody's head off. But he had this look in his eyes that practically yelled pain and longing. I knew this must have been really hard for him because he has never seen someone in this type of position before, or in this case, someone he cares about is going to be killed right in front of his dark eyes. I stared back at him with the same emotions but with a grave amount of fear.

"Let her go!" James shouted at the top of his lungs so much that a vein popped out of his neck and my ears started to hurt due to my sensitive hearing. He started to reach for my hand to pull me back but I was suddenly taking a step back with Magnus pulling me with him while he was still holding my neck in a tight grip but not enough to the point where I couldn't breathe but still hurt like hell...and to leave a bruise. Just like last time.

"Uh, uh, uh," he tisked. "Wouldn't want to hurt your bestest friend in the entire universe here now would you James?"

How did he know his name? How did he know he was my best friend in the whole entire universe?

James and I had made a pact when we were kids about always being friends no matter what and I knew he still remembered it because I heard it when I read his mind just now. But what creeped me out the most is that he used the exact same words from that day. I recall the memory because we had done a pinky swear on it and he made me swear to keep it. Even then he was very persuasive.

"Did you think you could hide forever Milli?" Magnus said. He said it in such a dark and dangerous tone that it caused me to shake more violently along with my teeth chattering. He even knew what the nickname was that only my true friends gave me.