Chapter 10: Our Past Always Comes Back to Haunt Us

The color rushed from my face and I nearly passed out due to the fact that my blood had run cold.

"What! What do you mean my fathers home? He's supposed to be dead," I shouted into the phone.

"Just what I said Millicent. I can feel that he's here," my mother said.

"How?"

"Because I saw him."

I leaned back onto James' bed with a million thoughts killing me from the inside-out. How is my father here? How did he get here? How did he find us? Those were just some of the question my  brain tried to rustle through. But the main question it kept coming back to was how my father was still alive. I didn't know whether to be happy because my father is alive or angry because it brought back all the memories that he did to me and my mother.

"Do you want me to come home?"

"No, no, no Milli, do not come near this house. Do I make myself clear Millicent Andrea Ross?" my mom said with a very stern and commanding tone. I immediately got scared because my mom used my full name and she never did that unless I was in serious trouble or she was being completely and utterly serious about something. In this case, it was the latter.

"Yes, mom."

"Good. Now I'm not at home now and I don't want you to come home okay sweetie. Go sleep over at James' house okay. Where are you now?"

Oh the irony.

"I'm at James' house now."

"Okay honey. Stay there for the night and what ever you do, do not leave his house. Understand?"

My mom usually let me sleep at James house because she knew how close we were. In the beginning it was tough but she slowly warmed up to the idea of me sleeping over at a boy's house. Plus I slept over here pretty often which would explain why I have my own set of clothes here and toiletries.

I nodded even though she couldn't see me and I'm guessing she understood that to when she said what she said next.

"Okay, bye now. I love you Millicent."

"I love you too mom," I said as I hung up the phone.

Stay alive...

"What was that all that about?" James asked a few seconds later after I let this knew found information sink in.

I hesitated a bit before I said, "M-my father is alive."

"What! How is that possible? I thought you told me he was dead," James exclaimed.

"I don't know how he's alive and my mom just told me and I just figured that he was dead since I haven't seen him for all these years. Plus there's no possible way he could have been alive this entire time."

James sat down on the bed next to me before saying, " So does this mean that your dad got turned at some point."

"I don't know, I guess."

He nodded slowly understanding the information. "So, what now?"

I sat there for a moment, still letting it sink in that my father is alive, "She told me to stay here for the night." I said slowly.

James nodded, and came over and me pulled into him. I started sobbing uncontrollably, my body shaking violently.

"Shh, everything's going to be okay Mill, I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He whispered.

I slowly stopped, knowing that I still needed to tell him about my father. "James?" I said as pulled back a little bit to look up at him.

"Yeah?" He said, his voice full of curiosity and concern.