Chapter 12: Christmas Time Is Here Again

John could go home but, much to his chagrin, Paul had to stay another couple days. There were complications with his cuts as they got infected due to a small piece of glass that was missed. Other than that, Paul was healing nicely. It was nearing Christmas and John felt hopeful that maybe Christmas would give them the break they desperately deserved.

Christmas. In just a few weeks John would be celebrating his first Christmas in years. This was the one time of the year that John despised the most. His other half, however, couldn't wait. Paul constantly hummed songs in his hospital bed. John debated smothering him, but supposed it would ruin the holidays.

He thought some more about it and realized he would be celebrating the holidays with Paul's family...meaning there was a lot of presents to be bought and wrapped and seeing as there was only one of them with two functioning limbs, John would have to do both. The action itself didn't bother him, it was the constant state of nagging: "you're not doing it right", "you have to use that tape", "I told you Mike's presents get the Santa paper and Brian's get the Penguins with Santa hats". Nope. John really didn't want to.

Paul's voice spoke into his head, "But it's Christmas, Johnnny! Plleeeassseee."

"Damn you..." John mumbled to himself, mentally noting go buy band aids in bulk. His poor little fingers would need it.

A knock at their door, broke his internal struggle. Ringo stood there with a suitcase in hand.

"Hey-o Johnny..." His usually sad, droopy eyes looked even sadder.

"Uh-oh..." John moved out of the way to let the dejected drummer in.

Ringo looked back up at John. "Mo kicked me out."

"I'm-"

"Yeah. Can I stay for a bit until things blow over?" Ringo didn't want any sympathy. He thought Maureen was the love of his life and that she'd always be there to support him. What he really needed was a drink. A lot of drinks.

John took his suitcase. "Of course, but that means you're going to have to help wrap presents and endure Paul's incessant Christmas caroling."

"Deal." Ringo plopped down on the couch in the front room of the house with John still holding his suitcase.

"I suppose I have to feed you, too, your highness." The younger of the two replied sarcastically.

"As long as you order the food...I'm not trying anymore of your concoctions." Ringo thought for a moment. "When does Paul come home?"

Ignoring Ringo's snarky comment about his fabulous cooking skills, John replied. "Tomorrow. Which reminds me, I need help finishing hanging these Christmas lights and decorations. I also need you to stay somewhere else just for the weekend."

Ringo snacked on some candy in a bowl on the coffee table. "Why? Paul's got a broken limb and some stitches, shagging might be a bit difficult."

"That's not why...can you just?" John, against his character, begged.

Sensing the urgency in his voice, Ringo complied, "Sure. Yeah." He had to wonder what Lennon had planned for the weekend if it wasn't for some alone time with Paul.

Then Ringo got it. "Let me see it."

"See what?" John mumbled on a ladder with a piece of garland in his mouth, trying to hang it over the doorway to the kitchen.

"The ring you nit."

John dropped the garland and nearly fell. "How the fuck did you..."

"Not as dumb as I look, Lennon. Now let me see it."