Chapter 10: Part 2

"Do you remember Cynthia Powell?" John asked.

"Uh, yeah. She was the one who dyed her hair blonde because she thought that's what you liked. I remember." Paul was glad it was her and not anyone else. She at least treated him kind.

"Well, I became a drunkard – as you know – and she tried. I just ended up getting her pregnant. All I could think about was you and how much your father drank and how much it pained you to see it. I also thought about how much you wanted a family. I would've cleaned myself up and I started to. Cyn, the baby, they gave me something that you could be proud of and maybe you would take me back. Given what I know now, it all seems silly."

Paul couldn't breathe; he didn't want to, was afraid to. In that moment, Paul realized something about John. He'd grown up. Sure, now, Paul saw the insecure sixteen-year-old when they first met, but this John...this John became something else entirely. In a good way. Paul didn't think it possible to love John more than he already did. Yet, here he was, lost in the enigma that was John Lennon. Again.

"I love you."

"Love you, too, Paul. We'll make it through. We always do." John placed a loving kiss on Paul's lips. "And besides, we have a wonderful babysitter."

"Who?" Paul let himself be wrapped up in John's arms again.

"George Harrison."

****

A lot of things happened for John and Paul before the school year started and Paul went back to work. Mike's fundraiser took place and the newly formed Beatles took the stage for the first time since they were teenagers. They surprised themselves that they even still sounded good. Ringo especially enjoyed himself even without the knowledge that his wife was down in the audience telling everyone, 'that's my husband behind the drums', and 'my husband's the drummer'. The Beatles were a hit...and so were John and Paul. By the end of the night by the end of the night, they had, together, raised a little more than a third of the earnings from the silent auction. One raised more than the other, but Paul refused to talk about it, especially since he had to take an 84-year-old woman out on a date.

Paul did feel a little bit better when John's date ended with wine on his pants and lipstick marks on his face and neck. Luckily, Paul only had to escort the woman to church and then to senior brunch.

Not long after, Mike moved back home and John and Paul started work. John only worked half the day teaching art classes, leaving time to make minor changes around the house. Things like organizing the closets and drawers and deep cleaning rooms. He even made an appointment to get his driver's license. Just things to keep him busy until Paul came home. It was weird, having the house to themselves without Mike around. John kind of missed the kid. Enough so that he started to get excited about raising the baby with Paul, which gave him an idea: to pick out colors for the baby's room. John wanted to paint scenes from storybooks on the walls, fairytales and the like.

Maybe, John thought, he'd surprise Paul by doing it. The only problem was, paint prices ran high and he was trying to save his money for something else.

****

As October finished, Paul turned into a nervous wreck, checking his phone every hour of the day and night and waking John in the process.

"Relax," John mumbled, "They'll call."

"That baby could be born any minute," Paul whispered, clearly awake.

"You're worrying yourself sick, Paul. I heard you sniffling the other day."

"Maybe I was crying..." Paul protested.