Part 85

Emily Prentiss' POV

I hear someone knocking at the door. I quickly wipe away my tears and I turn back; it's JJ.

"Sorry, it took more time than it was supposed to. Are you okay?"

I nod. But she notices that I cried and she hugs me. I can't help myself but let a few tears fall down.

"Shhh... It's okay..."

I snuggle up to her and she holds me tighter. We stay a few minutes in each other's arms. I move away.

"Have you had the time to pack a few things in the boxes?"

I nod.

"But I haven't finished. Could you help me, please?"

"Of course, but in 40 minutes, we'll have to leave to pick up Spence and the kids."

"Okay," I say, wiping up my last tears.

We start packing Aaron's stuff in the boxes that I'll bring back home. Almost 30 minutes later, we're finished. Jennifer asks a few agents to help us bring the boxes to the SUV. Everyone tells me they are sorry for what happened. Once the SUV is packed, we get in the car and drive to the hospital. But we stay in the car. JJ texts Spencer that we're there and a few minutes later, they get in the car. Spencer buckles Hope and Jaeden in their car seat and he sits in the back.

"I'll drop you home, then Emily and I will go to her place, okay?"

"Yeah, that's okay. I'll prepare the kids for tonight."

We arrive at JJ's and Spencer unbuckles the kids and goes inside with them. As we drive back to my house, I decide it's time to talk to JJ about Aaron's funeral.

"I thought about it, and I don't want to see Aaron dead. So I don't know if I'll make him incinerate or just let his coffin closed for the ceremony. I want to remember him alive, not dead."

"That's okay, Emily. Do you know when you want to do it?"

"As soon as possible."

"If I'm able to organize it in two days, is it okay for you?"

"It's alright."

We arrive at my house.

"Do you wanna get in?"

I take a deep breath before nodding. I get out of the car and I pick out my keys to unlock the front door. Nothing has been moved since the last time our family was whole. JJ starts to put the boxes in the entrance. I walk to my room and I let myself fall on the bed. I can still smell Aaron's odor in the sheets, especially on his pillow, so I snuggle up to it. I feel my daughter kicking, I try to calm her down by making little circles with my hand on my belly.

A few moments later, JJ enters the room.

"Emily?"

I lift my head up and I look at her.

"It's gonna be the time to leave."

"What time is it?"

"5:18pm."

I must've fallen asleep. I slowly sit straight up and I get up. We get back in the car.

"Penelope wanted to pay a tribute to Aaron tonight. Is it okay with you?"

"Yeah, of course."

We drive back to JJ's to pick up Spencer and the kids, then we head to Penelope's. Once I enter, Penelope rushes to me and hugs me.

"I'm so sorry, Em..."

"Me too..."

"How're you feeling?"

"A bit better..."

"You know, if there's anything, I'm here. You just have to ask."

I smile to her. As everyone is there, they all say the same thing to me. The dinner is already ready, so we all sit around the table and everyone talks about their best memories of Aaron. At the end of the dinner, I ask Dave to come with me because I have to talk to him in private.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine. But I have to talk to you about something."

"What is it?"

"Aaron left me letters..."

"Yeah, he once told me about them."

"And in his last letter, he told me he wanted me to be the new Unit Chief. But I'm not ready for it right now. And as you're the one with the most experience, I thought you could be the new Unit Chief for now."

"But Emily. He asked you to take his place, not me."

"I know but I'm not ready for it right now. Maybe later, but not now. That's why I'm asking you this favor: could you take his place and be the new Unit Chief?"