Dan Howell x Reader | Masquerade Ball

Description: Your at a Masquerade Ball, and find your date, Charles, cheating on you. You run out in tears, when a handsome man named Dan cheers you up. Alternate Universe.
Warnings: Cheating, Crying, Fluff.
Word Count: 728
|||
Everything is perfect.

My dress is a beautiful red ball gown that reminds me of one of the beautiful ones you see in renaissance paintings. It has large ruffles and a beautiful corset.

The venue is extraordinary, the ceiling is tall, it's decorated in red silk, sparkling lights, a lovely string quartet and harpist playing at the front.

Everyone is dressed in elegant red dresses and dark tuxedos. Masks are worn by everyone, and each of them are unique.

The food was amazing, lovely sweets and fruits displayed on expensive dining trays and there's a large chocolate fountain as well.

Everything is just like a fairytale. I turn around to tell my date how lovely it is, and I see he's not behind me.

"Charles?" I say.

I look around and see him near the back, walking into the hallway. I walk after him, nudging past the many guests, repeatedly saying "Sorry." and "Excuse me." I accidentally bump head first into a man with short, curly brown hair and matching brown eyes.

"I'm sorry." I say, straightening my mask.

"It's alright, love." He says. I smile at him, and continue on.

I reach the hallway and turn the corner to find Charles with another woman attached to his lips.

"Charles?" I exclaim. He quickly turns around and faces me, the other woman's lipstick smothered on his face. I cringe looking at it.

"Y/n, I uhm, I..." he stutters, rubbing the back of his neck, trying to avoid eye contact with me.

"Save it, you repulsive bastard." I spit, turning on my heels and running away. I run through the crowd with tears streaming down my face.

Guess this isn't the fairytale I had in mind.

I reach the balcony and it's empty, thankfully. I lean on the railing and take off my mask, many tears following. How could he do this? Never has he ever been unfaithful, our relationship was close to perfect. We never fought, even if we did it was over something small. Charles was a good man with a good job, cheating is the last thing I'd expect him to do.

I feel a small tapping on my shoulder, and almost immediately hit the person who delivered it, thinking it was Charles. But it isn't Charles, it's the brown eyed man from before.

"I saw you run out here, is something wrong?" He says.

"No, I'm okay, thank you." I say, straightening and smiling. He gives me a pitiful look, and wipes a tear off my cheek with his thumb.

"You don't seem very okay." He says. I sigh and look at the ground.

"How about we go on a walk, it may help you clear your head a bit." He says, holding out his arm. I smile and take his arm, and we go downstairs, then out the front door to walk around the garden in the evening light.

"What's your name?" I ask him.

"Dan, what about you?"

"Y/n."

"That's a beautiful name, Y/n." He says. I blush and look down.

"So, why were you crying?" He asks.

"I caught my boyfriend, well, now ex boyfriend, cheating on me." I say.

"What a prick! Where is he?" He says.

"That's very kind, but I'd rather not start anything." I laugh.

"If you say so." He shrugs.

We walk for a while around the garden, getting to know one another. Turns out we enjoy many of the same things. I even get him to take off his mask after a while, revealing his strikingly attractive face. It starts to get a bit chilly after a while, so I huddle up next to him.

"Y/n?" He asks.

"Yes, Dan?"

"Would you be against going inside and dancing with me?" He says.

"I'd love to."

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe this is a fairytale. Maybe I will have a happy ending.

|||

Okay people I meant happy ending as in a healthy relationship, not as in doing the frick frack diddily dack patty wack snick snack crack pack slack mack quarterback crackerjack biofeedback backtrack thumbtack sidetrack tic tac. You got it?

May we meet again.

SW