Chapter Twenty-Nine: Hatred and Rage

Kei cracked his eye open and scoped out the room. Cyreen had left to take First to somewhere, and had left him alone. Now was his chance to get out of this chaos forsaken bed. It was already bad enough Ghunyan was moving already, but he was injured and incapable of moving without assistance.

            Catrina had come again wearing the same clothes, all drenched in blood and covered with dirt. She had screamed something about Ghunyan moving to invade Caedule already, the main army having made contact with rebels. They weren’t sure if the army created by Kaya was involved, only that both Kaya and some noble girl were involved. He had thought that Ghunyan was aiming to invade the Mts. of Vraik, but apparently the plans had changed.

            For the hundredth time that day he pushed his body to move, but only managed to curl is index finger. Two days since the fight and that was all he had been able to move. Mr. Pressure was already bending his arm and that annoyed him more than his own lack of movement.

            He needed more power. A faster recovery rate. He needed to be the most powerful of all that way things like that didn’t happen to him. Although how the First had managed to increase gravity was intriguing, it lacked the power and ability to beat him, even without his left eye.

            “You can’t tell him that,” a small, high voice whispered behind the door. Kei snapped his eyes towards the door but all he saw were to shadowy figures through a small opening between the door and the frame.

            “But we have to,” responded another, much more masculine voice. “His sister is about to be killed at the hands of his brother.”

            What? Kei roared within his head, but it was as if his mind were being held by shackles. Kaya? What’s happening to Kaya?

            “We need him to be fully recovered,” The feminine voice now contained more hardness than in the previous sentence. “He is the last chance anyone has in standing up to Ghunyan.”  

            “But her execution date is in two days.”

            Kei’s mind failed to respond. It took a while for the moment to register, but when it did, his mind broke the shackles. He forced his arms to move, forced his brain to think, and made his legs obey his command. A guttural roar erupted from his throat, a noise that would cause a lion to tremble.

            Power flooded through him like it had never done before. But this time it wasn’t the power of Chaos. No, it was something much more sinister, something cold. Like it ran on hatred and rage.

            Kei placed his hands on the side of the bed and climbed to his feet, his natural movements back. No pain came to him. It was as if his body was new.

            The door slammed open as First and Cyreen came through. First seemed to have had an almost complete recovery, while Cyreen was appearing to be more disheveled than usual. She wore a black dress; a cape fluttering behind her while her hair was bundled in unorganized knots.

            “Get back in bed Kei,” ushered Cyreen, running up to him. First put an arm out, stopping her advance.

            “Don’t move, Cyreen.” First glared at Kei with scrutinizing furiosity. “There’s something different about him. He looks… almost possessed.” Kei let his head drop to the side of him and looked back at First with the same eyes. A bubble of fury erupted from inside of him. How dare this man injure him like he did? How dare he…