Chapter Twenty-Three: First Kill

Kei stared up at the starry night sky, drowning himself in its majestic beauty. There had been people in his castle who had claimed to have the ability to tell the futures from the starts. The name eluded him, but it wasn’t really important, what was important was the small fact that Rose, beside him was telling him his future with it right now. He had to get that ridiculous theory out of her.

            “And that’s the Circle of Argus.” Rose pointed to a circular formation of stars. She took another bite of her apple he had given her when they arrived at Hilda’s. Her teeth sank deep into its depths and came out with a huge chunk. “I’ve never been on a rooftop.” Rose snuggled in closer to Kei. “What if I fall?”

            “Then I’ll catch you.” Kei ran his hand through her hair. “Rose, enough with the stars. They can’t tell the future.”

            Rose crossed her arms over her chest and pursed her lips. “How do you know? It’s not like you can tell the future. It might be right.” Kei shifted his weight, and shook his head. First off he could tell the future, and second, all they had to do was wait for the time to pass to realize the predictions were wrong. Hence the reason so many of the start watchers—that was the title—had been hung for giving false information to the king. Idiots.

            “And that one there is the Council of Champions.” Rose directed his attention back to her in an instant as he basically fell off the roof.

            “W-what did you just say?”

            “The Council of Champions.”

            “Tell me everything you know about the Council of Champions,” Kei demanded, looking desperately into her eyes. Maybe she had the answers to the questions which have haunted him since the first mention of him being a Champion.

            Rose looked slightly frightened, but she complied. “All I know is what my Grandpa taught me.” She began to shake, and fearing he had scared her Kei pulled her in for a hug and kissed her forehead.

            “I’m sorry Rose, if you don’t want to-”

            Rose looked up at him, her big green eyes brimming with determination. “Papa wouldn’t cry. So I won’t either.” Pride spread throughout his body, but it was better to remain silent. “Each Goddess is allowed to choose a single champion. Those champions each are allowed a single part of their respective Goddess.” She lifted a finger and pretended to poke five stars in a row.” Those show that there are five different champions, each with a separate…um.” Rose scratched her leg and yawned. “I can’t remember.”

            “It’s okay. Thanks sweetie.” Kei kissed her cheek and she giggled. They wished each other a good night, and Hilda came and carried Rose back inside.

            Hilda came back to his place on the roof and sat down next to him, her blonde hair whipping him in the face.

            “You know, I still can’t believe you have a daughter.” Hilda whacked him on the back of the head. Really freaking hard too. Kei yelped in protest, and leaped to his feat. Why the Abyss did she hit him for?

            “Hey, it was that or kill her. I stand by the choice I made.”

            “So you didn’t…” Hilda made a gesture which if done by anyone else would have rude, but done by her was just hilarious. She just didn’t have the features of a prostitute. She was way more homely and pretty. Well, until she began to fight. Then the first thing he would do if he could was high tail the Abyss out of there.