Chapter Twelve: Unexpected Sight

Cecilia refused to talk to anyone but Madeline. Every time she was asked a question about food, her health, anything, she ignored the question and politely excused herself.

            When they stopped for a short reprieve on their way to Caedule, Zellock made his way over to her and made an attempt to start conversation.

            “I do not wish to speak with you Lord. For matters of heart and of health, leave me be for the moment.” She had said to him, knowing how full of contempt her voice had been.

            Now, hours later, the sun was setting and a trumpet sounded, telling all that they were nearing Caedule’s border. Cecilia, disgruntled and angry, swore at anyone who tried to talk to her, even Madeline. Even though she regretted it the moment after.

            “Milady…” Madeline, smiled gently, her motherly features helped calm Cecilia’s mood.

            “Oh, I’m sorry Madeline. It’s just I overheard Zellock and father discussing plans for marriage and I fear they have me in mind.” She snuggled into Madeline and pulled Kei’s rapier closer to her, hugging it tightly to her chest.

            “That’s right, you fancy that boy, Kei. The one who nearly frightened us to death.” Madeline said, a frown spreading quickly across her face.  “I will never understand your infatuation with that child. He was aggressive, rude, unbearable-“Cecilia interrupted her adding in her own opinions.

            “Sweet, prideful, adorable, amazing, handsome.” She went on and even lost herself in her thoughts of him. Wearily, she was aware of Madeline stoking her hair, but her eyes closed and soon she fell asleep.

            “Milady. Cecilia. Sweetie. Wake up.” Groggily Cecilia sat up, just in time to see a maid leave their carriage. 

            “Wh-” She yawned. “What did she want?” Madeline smiled and told her that they had just arrived at the castle where Zellock lived. It dawned on Cecilia that this was all real. She really was at a man’s house. And she had no power to stop him from doing whatever she wanted.

            “It’s alright, child.” Said Madeline, noticing her nervousness. “I’m sure Lady Peace will solve this all somehow. Prevail through the difficulties and you will be rewarded.” At that Cecilia snorted in disagreement. She had nothing against Madeline’s trust in religion, but she just didn’t believe it.

            Kei had believed, or so she had been taught, in Lady Chaos. As did all the royal families of Fileatte. The most powerful and influential country in the Northern Lands. Look where that had gotten him. Dead. Another lie they had been taught. Cecilia doubted that Kei knew anything about the Lady of Chaos except for how to use her name to swear.

            “We need to exit the carriage, milady.”

            “Lead the way Madeline.”

            “That would be most inappropriate, milady.”

            “Stop calling me that.” Cecilia sniffed derisively. Her maid never seemed to understand how uncomfortable hearing ‘milady’ made her feel. Or maybe she did but it was her only amusement to being a maid. Whatever it was it was super annoying.

            Shoving aside the curtain, Cecilia leaped off the carriage and assumed her ‘daughter of a High Lord” posture and facial expression. She hardened her eyes, and formed her mouth into a straight, grim line. And yet, held herself with pride and confidence that blasted Noble, like a punch in the face.