Chapter Twenty-Five: Killed by Bare Bones

Fletcher sat in a chair opposite to Ghunyan’s own, with his legs crossed, a bottle of wine sitting on the table in front of him. The man’s shoulder length black hair was tide tightly behind his head, his clothes newly washed and his sword swung freely at his side.

            Ghunyan nodded his head in appreciation of his new subordinate. After hours of secret talking, he finally convinced Fletcher to join him. Fletcher was a man of honor and pride, who was always on the side of his country. Knowing that their current king would only put it in harm’s way made Fletcher easy prey.

            Recent news of Kaya’s disappearance and the death of Zellock had come in late last night, calling this meeting to order. It was unfortunate that this had happened, as the coup d’état was only a few months away. The date would now have to be moved up considerably. Maybe within the next few weeks. Possibly days.

            Supposed to be sitting at the council table were those deepest in the coup. Six, including himself and Fletcher. Ghunyan knew these men since… well since he could remember. Each of them loyal to Fileatte, and not loyal to Bassel.

            Lord Drake, a duke in the eastern corners of Fileatte. Count Breck, man of lower status but one who held enormous influence despite that.  Then there was the one man Ghunyan disliked, but knew in his gut the importance of having him on his side. Lord Raike. His brown hair dangled loosely around his head and his clothes were cheap peasant clothes. This man was a people’s person and they knew it. He was always too relaxed and though of everything as a game, but the man was a genius in battle strategy and psychology. The final had been Lord Zellock, but now that he was dead, and empty chair stood ominously in his old place.

                        “Sir.” Snapping out of his thoughts, Ghunyan spun to face the voices owner. A squat looking man, bowing so low his long nose almost touched the floor. Why were his thoughts always interrupted by lowly servants? “Lord Raike has arrived. Shall I let him in?”

            “Quickly, servant,” Ghunyan snarled, his fingers pounding the table. The servant bowed and scurried off to attend his order. When he had left Ghunyan leaned back in his chair and let out a long sigh. Finally the last man had arrived. 

            “Sorry I’m late, Highness. We delayed by the-” Ghunyan quieted Raike with a flick of his hand, and Raike took his two places from Ghunyan’s own.

            “We have gathered here today because of Zellock’s death at the hands of an unknown person,” Ghunyan said, clenching his fingers together underneath his chin. “Sources tell us that the inhabiting villagers broke into the castle and found the lord dead. Then knowing their death was approaching at the hands of Caedule’s king, they fled towards the Unknown lands to, shall we say, ‘team up’ with Kaya’s own soldiers.” Silence followed, which meant no one had any questions so far. “Normally it would be no concern of ours. The further away that girl is the better. However, due to the current circumstances, we must act sooner than planned.”

            “Sir, why do the actions of some nobody in Caedule affect our plans?” Breck asked, stroking his beard in between his fingers.

            “If Bassel hears of Kaya’s disappearance he’ll without a doubt look into it and find she has been gathering an army in the Unknown lands,” He answered, circling his pointer finger on the edge of his wine glass. “My brother may not be all that smart, but there is no question that he will wonder for what reason out sister has been building an army behind his back. He might or might not come to the conclusion of what we plan, but the possibility remains and we cannot let anything pass us by. No matter how small the chance.”