Chapter Eighteen: The Mistake to Never Regret

Kei twisted his body into the current, and grabbed a tail of one of the beasts. The tail wore rock hard scales that dug into his palm like granite. Following the movements of the animals using his eye Kei maneuvered such that they couldn’t keep tack and had to keep changing their movements.

            His speed increased when the beast realized he was hitching and ride, and it was pissed. Kei felt himself being thrown from side to side, water rushing angrily against his face and stinging his wounded flesh.

            With calm confidence he let go of the tail and drifted diagonally—towards the gates and towards the surface.

            A dark black and blue shape lunges at him, it opens its mouth exposing multiple layers of teeth as sharp as glass. It bites down on his leg, red liquid flowing out and pain shooting up his spine as he cries out allowing water to spill into his mouth. His vision starts to fade, and another blob of black and blue attack his head, ripping it from his body…

            Kei blinked back into his body and kick as fast as he could towards the top. A his vision predicted, the beast lunged towards him, and Kei dodged the oncoming advance by bringing his torso on equal level with his back and then lashing his legs up and down. It was just in the nick of time, but the thing past harmlessly past him.

            While it was passing, Kei grabbed onto its rough tail and once again he was gliding through the water. The Eye of Chaos didn’t give him any more warning visions, so he suspected holding onto the tail of this one wouldn’t do him any fatal harm and held on.

            When the beast neared the wall, Kei let go and allowed the momentum to carry him farther to the gates. He swam to the top and breached the surface. Kei took a large breath, filling his worn out lungs, with much need oxygen. With his body renewed, he dove under the surface once again and searched for water vents. Somewhere around the gates was a small vent where water circulated in and out of the city. If they kept the same water here forever, then the beasts would die no matter what from the water becoming contaminated by their own waste.

            Running his hands against the moist texture of whatever material the gates were made of Kei started to think of Kaya and how she had been these past years. The last time he had seen her, she had scolded him for being fooled by Ghunyan’s tapped alarm button, and then yelled at him for something he still had no idea what for. And some nights it kept him up late, nagging and pulling at his mind.

            It stuck Kei to use her trick to find the vent. So he rummaged around the base for a while more until he came across a certain spot. It was made from softer clay then the other places and it was much newer. He wished that he could take a deep breath, but the impeding pain in the back of his head, told him that another vision of danger would come if he stayed here. So he pulled his hand back, and with all the force he could muster surrounded by water, he lashed out and buried his hand deep into the clay.

            The clay pulled his hand in further and further until it was shoulder deep. Kei tugged at it and realized he couldn’t pull it out with dislocating it. Panic forced its way up his throat and his heart began to pound, his eye beginning to give him the next vision.  

            A beast attacked from under the cover of the waters darkness, its lips curved into a snarl. Its eye stared at him with hunger and murderous furry before the mouth opened and the teeth clamped onto his arm.

            Pain crashed into his mind like a tidal wave, and he cried out. Air bubbles leaped from his lips and dashed towards the water’s surface. Kei quickly clamped his remaining hand over his mouth, and pushed his arm in deeper until his middle finger brushed up against something metallic.