19. Talking with Archie

Robin

Regina slept through the night without having another nightmare. She is now sleeping peacefully on my chest. If I move she'll wake up and that's the last I want for her after last night. I have to admit I enjoy the feeling of having her in my arms. It's nearly nine thirty and Tink will be here at ten, which means I really need to get up now. She stirrs a bit and opens her eyes when I climb out of the bed. I tell her to go to sleep and she does just that. Five minutes later I return with two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Just as the doorbell rings Regina is fully dressed. I inform Tink about Regina's rough night and suggest to keep today's session short. When Tink leaves 15 minutes earlier than usual I'm still doing laundry.

After a rather late lunch I help Regina onto the couch and turn on the TV for her. A few minutes later the doorbell rings again for the second time this day. Of course it's her therapist, who introduces himself as Dr. Archie Hopper. With Regina's okay I let him in.

"Hello Regina"

"Archie, what a lovely surprise!" she says smiling and gives him a soft hug.

Wow, I didn't expect this reaction. I'm surely missing something out, but now is not the right time to ask. After Regina assures me that she is okay with Archie for some time I say goodbye and leave to meet up with my brother John. I haven't seen him since I live with Regina and we only texted or had short conversations over the phone. We decided to meet at the Starbucks on the corner of West 54th street and Broadway for a coffee. When I arrive John is already waiting for me. We order our coffees and sit down on one of the tables.

John wanted to know everything about Regina. I try to answer his questions as best as I can without giving him too many details. There is a lot that has to stay a secret between Regina and I. She confides in me and trusts me to keep her secrets. John wanted me to promise him that I'll to come to his pub next Friday. The band I've once been a part of before Marian fell ill will play.I couldn't promise him to be there, but I'll see if I can go. Regina is invited as well. Maybe I can convince her to join me. Before returning to the apartment I do some grocery shopping.

Regina

I'm more than a bit surprised to see Archie. It's nice to see him, but we haven't spoken in years. I convince Robin that he can leave for a few hours. Archie is here in case I need assistance.

"I'm sure you wonder why I'm here today. I've heard about the accident. You can talk to me about everything you like and I'll just listen."

With anger in my voice I say "Now I see where this is going. Who told you to visit me? It was my father, wasn't it?".

"Yes, he told me about your nightmares. He loves you very much. I understand you're angry at him for interfering. From what he told me I know you need help. Please talk to me Regina. I only want to help you." he says calmly with the intention to keep me calm, but it's not working. I'm angry at my father for acting behind my back even though he knows how much I hate that. I can't believe he called Archie. He didn't have the right to do that. I'm not a child anymore and I can decide myself what's best for me/if I need to see a phychiatrist(?).

Getting more and more worked up I spit at him "There is nothing I could tell you. I'm sure my father already told you everything. You're right, he overstepped his boundaries. I told him because I trusted him to keep a secret.". I know it's wrong to leave it out on him, he did nothing wrong, but I'm just so angry. I start to hyperventilate.