15. A weekend with Henry part 2

Regina

Henry wakes we up early around seven thirty claiming he is hungry and wants to make breakfast with me. When I explain to him that he has to get Robin to help me in my wheelchair he leaves and says he'll be back soon. Well he isn't. Surely Robin told him to wait and he grabbed a snack to eat while watching TV. I love how he cares about me, always making sure I'm comfortable. That's so nice of him. Knowing I won't fall back asleep now I pick up the book from the bedside table and start reading. It is one of the many get well soon gifts I received during my stay in the hospital. When I was still in the coma friends and colleagues came by and left cards, flowers and other gifts for me. Last week Robin and I started to go through everything I've received, reading the letters and cards and opening the gifts. Nearly all made me cry. I was overwhelmed by their kind words, prayers and wishes. I plan to send everyone a card to say thank you for their support.

I look up from my book as I hear a knock on the door. Henry comes in and jumps next to me on the bed. "We made breakfast in bed for you Auntie Regina!" he calls out excitedly. Robin follows him holding a tray "Bon appétite milady.". He places the tray filled with pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit and coffee on my legs. Then he sits down on the other side of the bed. "Thank you you two. That looks very delicious." I compliment them before I start eating. Henry watches me as I taste the pancakes. "Do you like them? I helped making them." he asks. "Oh I love them. You're a great cook." I pull him close to for a kiss on the cheek. He giggles at my compliment. "You too Robin" I smile at him. He smiles back "Thank you".

Once we are all dressed we get comfortable on the couch and finish watching  Finding Nemo. It's nearly twelve when the movie is over and I suggest we'd go to Granny's for lunch.
Robin smiles and I know why. He's happy that I suggested to go out, because that's something he's been waited for me to do the whole time. I even believe he is kinda proud of me.

"Regina, Robin! It's so nice to see you again!" Granny greets us as soon as we are inside. "It's nice to see you too." I say when she hugs me. Turning to Henry she asks "And who are you?".
"My name is Henry. I'm Regina's nephew." he answers proudly. "It's nice to meet you. You can call me Granny, like everybody does." she tells him while leading us to a table. I feel so comfortable in her presence. She is always so nice and treats me so normally. Not once did she give me that look full of pity I receive from most people.

While we wait for our food we discuss what we'll do for the rest of the day. We have a nice time there and of course the food is delicious. Granny is a fantastic cook. It should become a habit of Robin and I to have lunch or even breakfast here once a week. I enjoy the atmosphere and at the same time I get out of the apartment just like Robin and my parents want me to.

After lunch we go for a walk through Central Park and Henry wants to take a break at the playground so that's what we'll do. On a beautiful Sunday afternoon like today the city, especially Central Park, is crowded, but that was to to be expected. Parents go outside with their kids to play, couples walk along the streets holding hands and enjoy the remaining time of the weekend together. Only a few weeks ago Daniel and I did the same.

I feel uncomfortable in my wheelchair, but I know I have to get over it for Henry. I don't want to disappoint him. Without him I surely would have already told Robin to get me home. Instead I ask him to help me sit on a bench beside him. We talk a bit while we watch Henry play. Robin tells me about Roland and shows me some pictures. He is such an adorable little boy. He's been asking about me, "the lady his father spends all his time with", like he calls me and he even asked if he can meet me. I'm a bit surprised and kind of shocked. I didn't expect that. Of course Robin notices my shocked expression immediately. "Of course you can say no and I'll tell him you're not ready yet. I'll never force you to do anything you don't want. It was a stupid idea. I should have just said no in the first place." he apologizes immediately. Trying to ease his guilty feeling I say "No, Robin. When I think about it, it's a great idea. I'd like to meet him and that way you can spend some time with you son. Let's have him stay over on Wednesday afternoon. What do you think?". "Only if it's really okay for you." he answers a bit hesistant. I assure him "It is". "Then I'll let him know in the evening. Robin says.

A few minutes later Henry comes back from playing. "Can we go and have ice cream now, please?" Henry asks me. "Yes of course." I say. So we stop by at an ice cream parlor on our way home. Robin insists on inviting us, which is very sweet of him. I decided not to argue with him about it today, instead I just enjoy it.

I'm exhausted when we are finally back home. When I tell Henry I'm too tired to play he is a bit disappointed, but then he quickly asks if I can read him a story from the fairytale book I gave him for Christmas. We get comfortable on the couch just like last night and after the first chapter Robin joins us. He takes over reading the next chapter. We do that until my sister arrives to pick up her son. She keeps me company while Robin helps Henry to pack all of his stuff.

"Hey, how are you doing sis?" Zelena asks after taking her son's place next to me. I honestly answer her "I'm tired, but happy.". "And how did it go?" my sister wants to know. I tell her "It was great, but exhausting for me. I'd like to have him here more often. Robin was a great help and Henry likes him. Having Henry here certainly challenges me, but that's what mom and dad, even Robin want. I did things I'd have never done if he hadn't asked me to. We've been outside for walks, had lunch at Granny's and such. Next time we can try even more, maybe have that museum visit I promised him.". "I'm just glad you don't regret your decision." Zelena tells me honestly. I answer her "I could never regret it. He cheers me up and made me forget about the funeral tomorrow. I didn't even have time to think about it.".

"Mom I'm ready!" Henry almost screams as he joins us on the couch. "Bye auntie Regina. Our weekend was so much fun!" he says hugging me. I hug him back "I enjoyed it too Henry. You can always stay for another weekend whenever you like. See you soon Henry.". I'm in happy today. I'm not sure why, but that's not important as long as I'm feeling better.

Robin

Right after Zelena and Henry have left I take Regina to her bed so she can take a nap before dinner. She nearly fell asleep in my arms. The last two days have been long and exhausting, but I know that was just what she needed. I'm so proud of Regina and what she accomplished while Henry was here. He gives her self-confidence and inspires her to try more.

Roland is thrilled when I tell him that Regina wants to meet him too. After I wish my son a good night and promise to call tomorrow I make dinner for us. It's just some pasta, nothing fancy. We have dinner in bed, because Regina is still very tired. Later after getting ready for bed she asks me to read until she falls asleep. I get comfortable on the chair I brought in from the dining table earlier that evening and start reading. Only minutes later she is asleep. I stay a few minutes later before going to bed myself. Tomorrow will be a long day with the funeral and we'll have to take the car there. I'm not sure if Regina realized that and I know she is nervous and scared about the day. I fear that it will all be too much for her.

In the middle of the night I'm woken up by a scream. Regina is having a nightmare again. Careful not to hurt her I try to wake her up by taking her hands in mine and rub slow circles on the back with my thumb. "Open your eyes Regina. You're safe. It's all just a dream." I whisper in her ear. She blinks a few times before she opens her dark brown eyes and looks at me slightly confused. "Robin?" she asks. I immediately assure her "I'm right here.". "I'm scared and I don't want to be alone tonight... Would you stay with me?" Regina asks and tries to sit up. I can't believe she actually asked that, now without the influence of the painkillers. "Anything you wish milady." I promise her. "Thank you" she whispers softly as I lay down beside her. I lay on my side and watch her until her breathing evens out signaling me that she fell asleep. Her face is free of worry now, all evidence from the nightmare, that haunted her only minutes ago, is gone. Now I allow myself to fall asleep as well.

Happy Easter everyone  🐣🐰
That was chapter 15. Thank you for sticking with my story and reading it.
~Julia