Chapter Seven

~Arabella~

     Running through the woods, I finally let the tears fall, let them fall down my face and onto the dirt below me. I run for the pond, knowing that it's the only place that will bring me comfort right now. I stop running, slowing to a fast walk and start thinking. How could Adrian do that to me? I thought he loved me. I guess I was wrong. Why Brittany? Why that slut? He knew I didn't like her! Is that why chose her? Because he knew it would hurt me? I shake my head as that thought enters my head. He may have hurt me, but he wouldn't do that to anybody, he's not that cruel. Taking a deep breath, I start to make my way to my favorite rock. Before I can move, a branch snaps behind me and I whirl around to find Zach standing behind me.

     "Zach? What are you doing out here?" I ask cautiously, edging towards the woods. If anything happens, I can just run into the wood and circle back to the castle.

     "I saw you crying, so I came after you. Are you ok?" He asks, concern and worry evident on his face. I shake my head, laughing emotionlessly.

     "No, I'm not ok. I walked into Adrian's office to find him making out with your sister," I say, my voice cracking. Zach sighs, walking towards me. I subtly match his steps, walking backwards.

     "I'm so sorry, Ara, Brittany can be a real bitch, sometimes. She's been in love with Adrian since we were kids. She got mad when she found out that all her efforts meant nothing." I sigh, shaking my head.

     "She never had a chance, though, Adrian told me that he thinks of Brittany as an annoying little sister." He laughs, nodding.

     "Yeah, I always knew that he didn't like her."

     "I'm not surprised that he doesn't. I'm going to go back, I guess that he deserves the chance to explain himself." I start to walk back in the direction of the castle, but Zach stops me.

     "I can't let you do that. I know you know what I'm a part of, Arabella, I know you heard everything that day in the tree. I wasn't lying, you will be mine. Now, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. You can come with me willingly, or I take you by force." I smirk.

     "I'll choose the third option, the one where I get to leave to my husband, the man I love. I will never be yours, Zack, there's not a chance in hell that I will."

     "You mean the husband that just hooked up with my sister?" I clench my jaw, glaring at him.

     "Why would you do this to Adrian? You've been his best friend since you were kids. What did he ever do to you?" Fury fills his eyes and he walks towards me.

     "What did he do to me? He's gotten everything he's ever wanted in life! He had it easy. Everyone loves him. He's the King of one of the biggest countries in the world, he married the girl I'm in love with! He has everything! He was never my friend, I was only using him to find something better, but that didn't happen! If anything, I got thrown into his shadow even more! My parents treat him as a son! They love him even more than they love me! Everything he wants is handed to him on a silver platter, except for you. You were the only thing that he had to work for, but even then, he still got you! I don't just dislike Adrian, I hate him. I always have, and I always will." By the time he's done talking, I've been stunned into silence and he got his chance to stand in front of me. He gently wraps his hands around my forearms. "Don't you see it, Arabella? He doesn't deserve any of this. He doesn't deserve the title, he doesn't deserve the fame, he doesn't deserve you." He finishes softly. I stare up at him with wide eyes.

     "Do you really think it's like that?" I ask, astonished. He nods, smiling softly.

     "Yes, I really do. Don't you see, Arabella? Everything I've told you is true, you just didn't see it." I scoff, shaking my head.

     "No, I don't think you see it. Everything you just said is true, but it's not Adrian that you're talking about, it's you. I've known you for a long time now, Zach. I've visited your country with Adrian. You have at least five servants and maids with you at all times, waiting on you hand and foot. You get everything you want handed to you on a silver platter, you have girls lining up for miles for you! Adrian has worked his entire life to get where he is now. You've done nothing." His eyes narrow in anger and he pushes me back until my back hits a tree. I narrow my eyes at him, showing no emotion.

     "So the hard way it is, then." He whispers. I smirk.

     "Have I ever made anything easy?" I taunt, sickeningly sweet. He smirks down at me.

     "That's just one of the things I love about you," he says, quietly, pushing himself closer to me. I clench my jaw, unable to move. I need to get him to trust me, maybe think I love him too, maybe then I'll be able to find a way home. He moves closer, until his face is inches from mine. "You will learn to love me one day, my love, I know you despise me, don't try to act like you don't. You can't trick me." I glare at him.

     "I will never love you," I spit, venomously. He opens his mouth to answer, but something cuts him off.

     "Arabella!" Adrian. My eyes widen and I immediately try to call back to him. But before I can get any words out, Zach throws his hand over my mouth and picks me up. I struggle, trying to break free, but he's too strong. He carries me behind a grove of trees behind the waterfall.

     "If you make any sound, I will kill Adrian, do you understand me?" He whispers into my ear. I nod, closing my eyes. I open them to see Adrian sprint into the clearing, desperation in his eyes. In his hand is a note, no doubt written by the same man that's been sending me those letters, which I now believe to be Zach. He looks around, then his shoulders sag, he walks a ways in our direction, looking around. "Don't make a sound if you want him to live." Zach hisses, turning to look me in the eyes. I don't pay any attention to him though, I pay attention to Adrian. He just spotted the tracks that Zach had left. And Zach won't know because he's too busy watching me. Hope flutters across his face as he turns and looks around, pausing at the spot Zach pulled me to, then sprints back in the direction he came from, hopefully getting help. Please hurry, Adrian.