Blind Faith

When we finally made it back to my apartment I sat Elliot down on one of the two kitchen chairs and quickly closed the door before Maxi could run out. Elliot was looking around my painting-covered bachelor pad with his beautiful, golden eyes widened in awe.

"You did all these mate?" His smooth English accent slurred as he scanned the living space. I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Yeah, I need to start getting rid of a few, they're starting to pile up." I chuckled a little to myself at the thought of the growing pile of old paintings I had started to replace. I heard a low meow as Maxi jumped up onto the kitchen table in front of Elliot. He flinched with surprise as the small orange kitten walked up to him curiously. I had never brought anyone here before. It was Maxi's first time seeing another person in our home, and I was a little more than nervous to show someone, let alone a gorgeous, random stranger my art piece that had become my apartment. Things were hanging from the ceiling, walls and even some tapestries acted as curtains for the large windows that opened up the room a little. It was a very... acquired taste. It wasn't a decretive look most people would want to live in.

"You're a cat person! I should have guessed it!" Elliot's drunken voice sounded out from the chair. His hands reached out to pet Maxi and she rubbed her back into his hand as he pet her.

"She likes you." I noted as I watched the two from the kitchen. I opened the fridge and was reminded that there was literally nothing left to eat inside. I was terrible at remembering groceries and I felt bad that I couldn't offer Elliot anything.

"Would you like some water?" I asked grabbing a mug from a cabinet.

"Oh, yeah that'd be great, thanks." He said as he continued to pet the ginger kitten. I filled up the mug and brought it over to him, sitting down in the other chair at the table.

"I really like your cat." Elliot said looking up into my gaze. For some reason his eyes meeting mine created my heart to skip a beat. I swallowed a gulp of water and smiled at the odd man across from me.

"Her name's Maxi." I told him, "And she seems to like you too. She hasn't met many people before."

"Really? You don't bring random strangers into your home every Friday?" He slurred with a goofy grin spread wide on his red face.

"Nope, you're the first." I said with a shy chuckle. I wasn't sure what to make of this guy, one minute he was completely intimidatingly beautiful and made my nerves jump and the next he could be easy to talk with and goofy. It struck me as borderline crazy that I had just met this man a few hours ago, yet I had grown sort of comfortable in his company.

After we finished our water I helped him stand up and I walked him into my room. I sat him on my small bed in my tiny bedroom. He laughed and winked at me the whole time, I just rolled my eyes.

"You're even takin' me to bed! Wow, you Russians really know how to power through a date." I blushed at his words but told him to lie down and get some rest. Did he think this was a date? Was it? I didn't really want to believe it, I didn't want to make any trouble.

"I'll just be in the next room if you need anything." I said as I left the Englishman on my bed.

"Sure babe." Jeeze this guy had a lot of nerve, especially when he was drunk. A furious blush swept over my face as I walked out of the room. I wondered how much he would remember about today when he finally sobered up. 

I headed over to my studio in the bigger room and kept the door open just a crack in case Elliot needed anything. I picked up a paint pallet and placed a new canvas on the large easel. My first brush stroke was a glimmering gold; a ray of sunlight.

After another two hours of painting I had to get ready for work. I cleaned up and walked into my bedroom to see how Elliot was doing. When I opened the door his perfectly sculpted body lay out on my bed in a wide sprawl. His head was tilted upwards and his mouth hung slightly open, letting a soft snore escape from his slightly chapped lips. I took a deep breath in as I looked at this beautiful man in my bed. I really didn't want to disrupt his peaceful sleep, he looked like an angel as he laid on my bed with a cute, half smile on his face.

My gut was telling me that I could trust him in my apartment, alone, with my beloved art and cat. But my head was telling me it was a stupid idea, and that I'd literally just met him today, so how could I know that he's not some con artist? After much thought and anxiety, I convinced myself that I couldn't wake him, so I left a note on the kitchen table.

Elliot,

Sorry there's no food in the fridge. You are welcome to eat anything you manage to find though. I'm at work until 12 tonight. If you want to leave, make sure you lock the door, I put my key under the mat. But you are welcome to stay until I get home.

-Nikita .

I seemed to hold my breath as I carefully placed the note on the table and walked out the door to my apartment, putting a lot of blind trust into the hands of a quirky, beautiful stranger.