Chapter 10

I went to bed without eating anything that night. My dinner was my tears which fell continuously from my eyes. I was angry at my parents for not allowing me to be around Rome. I didn't understand why I could be around him, he was nice and friendly. Plus what was so bad about the Volturi ?

The next day I didn't go to school at all. After numerous attempts to get me out of bed my father finally gave up and let me stay home. Good I didn't want to go to school they would probably make Alice watch me to make sure I didn't go near Rome or have Uncle Edward invade my thoughts. I'd rather stay home then suffer the embarrassement of controlling and untrusting parents.

After laying in bed for half the day I couldn't bear it no longer. I hadn't showered in over 12 hours and needed to feel clean. In less than a second I moved from my bed to the bathroom and in another second I had the water on and was undressing.

The water hitting my skin felt exhilerating and relaxing and I loved the warmth against my skin. Using my favorite mint body wash I washed myself and then did the same to my hair using my lavender shampoo. After I was finished I moved to the sitting block that was in the corner and sat down to relax under the pressure and heat of the water.

On any other day it would do some good but all I did was cry. Why the hell was I crying, was it that time of the month? No definitely not that ended three days ago. It took atleast an hour to pull myself together and realize that it was Rome that I needed. I needed to see him. I needed to be around him.

Finally I turned off the water and stepped out to get myself dried off. Once I was dried I hung the towel to dry and then grabbed my robe and put it on. I moved to my closet and looked for a comforting outfit. I settled for my baby blue sweat suit and some pink converse. After I was dressed I pulled my hair back into a pony tail.

I needed to go to his house and see him. I needed to leave for atleast a minute or a second or something. I wanted to make sense of all of this. I needed to know what was so bad about the Volturi.

I walked to my bedrooms balcony and looked over towards the lake. Rome's house was lively, the smoke was rising in little puffs from the chimney and a few lights were on. I opened the doors and made a running leap landing on my feet before I took off at a run.

10 seconds later I was walking up to his door which opened when I was a foot away. Rome looked at me and then stepped back to let me in. I wondered how he knew I was coming. Then I remembered he was a hybrid like me and we had enhanced hearing

Rome shut the door and stared at me. "You aren't at school?" He questioned.

I shook my head. "Neither are you."

He shrugged his shoulders. "What are you doing here?" he asked me.

I scrunched my forehead as I looked at him.

"I came here to talk to you." I said as I moved to sit on the sofa.

He followed me and took a seat beside me. "What about?"

I held out my hand and watched as it began snowing in my palm. Rome watched curiously and smiled.

"That's a nice gift what is it exactly." He said

I changed my train of thought to a blazing fire and a sure flame sprouted from my palm. I dropped my hand and smiled.

"I control the elements." I responded as I looked at the dead

Hyacinth plant on the table and waved my hand over it. Instantly it blossomed back to life. "I guess you can call me mother nature." I added slyly with a smirk. "Do you have a gift?" I asked him in return.

He looked at me and tilted his head to the side. I watched his eyes slide out of focus once before he rose to his feet. "I'll be right back." He said as he walked away.

I listened for his footsteps and they faded down the hall and to the right. They stopped and then I heard some shuffling before his footsteps began growing nearer. He was at my side and seemed a bit odd or atleast stressed.

"I got you a birthday present." he said as he held out a rectangular box.

My eyes widened as he set it in my lap. "I told you not to get me anything Rome." I said as I placed my hands ontop of the box.

He smiled. "I couldn't help it, it just seemed fitting."

I nodded my head in a silent acceptance because I knew if I opened my mouth I'd say something that might hurt his feelings. Honestly I hate gifts why can't anyone understand that, its simple.

"So about that talk." He pushed.

Oh yeah. Here is what I wanted to tell you I thought to myself. My parents hate you and don't want me around you so as I am sitting here with you I am breaking their wishes. Yeah that's right I am being disobediant.

"My parents don't want me hanging around you anymore because of who your father is." I said to him.

He stared at the floor for a few minutes before he finally looked at me. "That's understandable. What are you going to do?" he asked me.

"I have no idea. I guess this is goodbye." I replied.

Rome blinked several times, his mouth gaping open. "But why?"

"I hate going behind my parents backs. I'm a good child. Last night you know what I told them." I asked him. "I told them I hated them. But thats not true I love my parents."

"Please for me?" he asked him. "Just sneak away."

I scooted furthur away from him to put some distance between us even though there was a reasonable amount of space. He was asking me to lie to my parents and go behind their backs. I couldn't do that. I mean I was already doing that but I was here to explain to Rome why I would never be able to see him again, this was different.

"I'm sorry Rome I can't. I just came here to say goodbye."

Rome reached forward and touched my hand. "Sneak out for me." He repeated again.

I looked at him blankly before I slowly nodded my head. "Ok. I will."

He looked into my eyes and a small smile spread across his face. "Promise me you will."

What was wrong with me.

"I promise." I said in a toneless voice.

Rome smiled wider. "Good. Now you can leave." He pulled his hand back and rose to his feet before he moved to open the front door.

I felt like I was riding passenger seat in my body as I rose to my feet and walked out the front door. I ran the length to the house and scaled the side of the house to my balcony where I entered my room. There was no movement or hint of disruption in my bedroom so I guess my parents didn't notice I left. Weird.