Chapter 31: Slow

Song: Kiss me - Ed Sheeran

Becca

For the rest of the night, a dazzling smile decorated Brett's already dazzling face. It never left, not for one second after I said yes to being his girlfriend. But how could I blame him? I felt lighter, happier than I had in months.

Scratch that, in years. Forever, even.

The pain I felt earlier over my parents had disappeared. Brett had somehow managed to place a temporary bandaid over my heart, holding me together in a way I didn't think was possible.

"Here," Brett said as he walked out of the closet smiling, holding a pair of clothes up to me, folded neatly in his palms like a trophy. "You can wear this tonight."

I was sitting on his bed with my legs crossed, trying to ignore the fact that I was with Brett. In his bedroom. On his bed. Alone.

My mind was going a mile a minute and that didn't even compare to my heart. But the way Brett smiled at me right now made me know deep down that somehow, everything was going to be alright. That as long as he was here, we could do this together.

"Thanks," I said slowly, smiling up at him as I grabbed the pyjamas from his outstretched hand. I still had his sweater tucked in the back of my closet. The thought made me giggle.

"What's so funny?" He asked, watching me with his eyebrows raised.

I grinned like a lunatic but shook my head, not wanting to mention my creepy obsession with his sweater. "I need to get dressed," I stated, holding up the clothes and giving him a look that said to either leave or turn around.

"By all means. Don't let me stop you," he said flirtatiously, winking at me. He stood in front of me with his arms crossed, feet planted firmly and no intentions of leaving.

"Brett!" I managed to say while laughing. "Turn around. Please," I asked him sweetly, knowing he wouldn't say no.

"Fine." He groaned, leaning down and kissing me quickly before walking out of the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

My heart fluttered at the feel of his lips on mine. No matter what, I knew I would never get used to that.

I waited a moment, making sure he wouldn't open the door and walk back in. When it seemed safe, I quickly took off my clothes and put on the ones Brett handed me. My eyes widened in horror when I realized he only brought me a grey t-shirt. No pants.

I resisted the urge to scream and put it on quickly. The shirt fit me like a dress, the hem reaching my mid-thigh and the sleeves swallowing my arms, ending at my elbow.

I stood in the middle of his bedroom feeling self-conscious, shifting awkwardly on my feet and very aware of my bare legs.

"Can I come in?" Brett yelled, knocking on the bedroom door.

I took a deep breath. "Yes!" I called back, nervously crossing my arms over my chest.

The door opened slowly and Brett's face peaked out of the crack before he walked out. His eyes trailed from my face down my body, lingering momentarily on my bare legs and making every inch of my skin feel like it was on fire. His gaze returned to mine and he smiled, running a hand through his hair as his eyes immediately returned to my legs.