Chapter 30: Unmasked

"Rise and shine, gorgeous." Someone shakes my shoulders, causing me to groan in dissatisfaction.

"Leave me alone", I mutter and I feel his chest vibrating as he chuckles.

My eyes widen in the speed of light as I realize I'm lying on top of him and I immediately shoot up from my place, his hand that shook me falling off of my shoulder in the progress.

"Someone suddenly got an energy kick", he says with amusement, "you know, you were quite adorable when you were sound asleep, cuddled up against my chest."

I make a gagging noise and pretend to stick two fingers down my throat.

"Please tell me you just lied."

He shakes his untidy hair and smirks.

"Nope. You even wrapped your arms around me, too bad you're not the same awake."

"Yeah", I sigh with my voice dripping with sarcasm, "too bad."

Still in my groggy morning state, I don't have time to comprehend his next action before it's too late and he's straddling me.

"Now, what have I said about that attitude? You need to lay it back", he says with a tone of both amusement and seriousness.

His eyes then flicker down to my lips with a lustful glint and I shake my head at him.

"No, seriously Nick. I'm not in the mood." I still - obviously- haven't gotten over what he did to Lindsey.

"But you broke one of the rules and you're attitude need to change, now. Lay it back", he repeats and leans in closer, kissing my lips harshly but not pinning my hands down my side or over my head.

That's it.

I'm done with his shit.

Before I really have time to think it through, I clench my hand into a fist and punch Nick right in his face, my knuckles hurting as I come in contact with his nose.

Nick let out a scream of pain and shoot back, his hands reaching up to his now bloody nose.

"What the hell?!" he shouts as I take the advantage and push him off of me and scurry into the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

"Alex!" he groans and starts banging at the door, but the banging soon stops and I hear the sound of a door slam shut, figuring he went to a nearby bathroom to get cleaned up.

I think about make a run for it, go through the door which I heard he didn't lock, and try to get out, but before I have time to put my plan into action I hear running footstep coming closer.

I recognize the voices as Zeke's and Vince's and I curse under my breath as my chance is ruined.

"Alex..." I hear Zeke say, "we know you're in there and you better come out now before you're getting yourself into serious trouble."

Like if I haven't already.

"Alex..." he repeats angrily, "open the damn door now or you'll regret it. You got a warning yesterday and now your free passes are gone. You better face reality, not hide from it."

But hiding is exactly what I want to.

My whole body freezes as I realize how much trouble I just gotten myself into.

Zeke's seriously pissed off and I got a feeling of that making him angry is one of the last things you want to do.

"If I get out now you'll hurt me anyway, so what's the point?" I call through the door, my voice trembling slightly.

"Yes", Zeke answers, "but we won't hurt you as badly."

I mentally roll my eyes at his 'soothing' words.

"Thanks, but no thanks", I reply, "I'm fine where I am."

Honestly, I'm really scared but I still don't regret punching Nick.

By all means, he deserved it.

"We're just going to break through the door if you don't open up", Vince grunts.

"I'll take all the time I can get."

At least the words came from my heart. Finally being able to say what I want, knowing I'm already in some serious trouble, feels amazing. Except for the serious trouble part... but I take what I can get.

Suddenly another pair of footsteps comes into the room, but if I'm not mistaken, I can also hear a quiet sobbing.

"Oh, Alex", Nick sings out in a mocking tone, sending chillers down my spine, "you want to play a game?"

I don't reply, but listen to the sobs I'm now sure of is there.

Nick chuckles and continues as I don't make a sound.

"For every minute you stay in there, Patricia here will take a part of your punishment. For every minute you are selfish enough to stay in there and let your friend take the blame for you, she'll scream out in pain."

It feels like a cold hand takes a firm grip around my heart and threatens to crush it.

No.

A piercing scream then fills the tense air and the second later I literally slam the door open, causing it to hit the wall with a loud bang.

"L-leave her alone..." I stutter, trying to stay strong but failing.

Nick looks up at me, his eyes dark with anger and his facial expression tense.

"Gladly", he smirks and chuckles dryly, but it sounds more like a chalk being drawn against a chalkboard. Another unpleasant chiller sends down my spine.

He releases her from the painful grip he'd taken on her arm, and she falls to the ground with a whimpering sound and tears in her eyes.

"I'll handle it from here, guys", he tells Zeke and Vince who nods simultaneously and walks out of the room, after grabbing Patricia roughly by her sore arm and tugging her with.

As the door slam shut, Nick turns his head towards me.

Something seems to be off with him.

He doesn't look the same, the glimpse in his dark eyes isn't the same. Earlier, it was either a glimpse of amusement or lust but now, all I can see is fury.

I've never seen him like this.

His hair is messy and together with his clenched jaw and tense body, it makes him look like a maniac.

I gulp and stare him right in the eye, all sign of the old Nick gone.

Maybe this is the real him.