Chapter 6: No Family Equals No Help

My throat feels dry and it feels like the temperature in the room has dropped. Ransom. My so-called family won't give these guys what they want. I know it. What does that mean for me? Will they kill me? Sell me? Keep me?

"Relax, gorgeous", Nick whispers in my ear, "it looks like you've seen a ghost."

I haven't, but maybe I will be one soon.

"We already know your names", Zeke speaks out, "but it would be very helpful if you could give us your addresses too so that we can send your families a letter each."

He makes me wanna throw up. All of the guys in here does. All the time I've been focused on getting out of here, but can I really leave these other two girls? Am I that selfish?

A small voice in my head tells me that I should stay until I can get all of us girls out of here, but the bigger part of me says that the easiest way to get these guys arrested, is by escaping. It's that voice I follow. If I manage to escape, I can memorize the house and the way to it, and then the cops can take all of the guys and save the girls.

I tell myself it's the right thing to do. I repeat it over and over in my head. Trying to convince myself.

Zeke takes the other two girls addresses, they just give it to him, too scared to disobey his will. I understand them, Zeke is intimidating with a muscular body and piercing blue eyes, only a shade darker than my own.

Now, he looks at me with raised eyebrows. "And yours?" he asks.

I get a lump in my throat, not knowing whether to tell the truth or not. If I just tell them my address, they will figure out even sooner that they won't get any money from me. But if I keep my mouth shut, they might hurt me and make me tell the truth. I give out a sigh and meets Zeke's gaze.

"There's no point. I live in a foster care. They don't have the money, and even if they would, why wasting it on me?" By now, I have everyone's attention.

Zeke looks at me with an intense gaze, like if he's trying to figure out whether I am telling the truth or not. At least, he breaks the silence that has fallen over the room.

"Well, let's hope you're wrong now then." He says the words like it's nothing special, but I get a feeling of that there's an untold threat. I don't want to know what happens when they realize I am right, but I do give them my address, reluctantly. Once I have, Nick stands up again, dragging me with him.

"Where are we going?", I ask him, gazing back at Amy and the other girl I don't know the name of.

"Back to our room", he says and I stop in my movement. I don't want to go back there, and the word ours sends chiller down my spine.

"It's not my room", I state with a frown. Nick shakes his head at me and sends me a blinding smile.

"It is, exactly as much as you are mine."

I cross my arms over my chest and looks him straight in the eyes. "But I'm not yours either. You can't just take someone and claim them as yours."

Once again, he gives me a smirk. "But gorgeous, that's exactly what I did, isn't it?"