Chapter 12: News

I'm lying on my stomach on Nick's bed, listening to a cd with some rock band I found in a stereo. After my betting with Nick, he locked me down in his room again, and I've been here for two and a half hour now, which I know thanks to the tv I have on in the background in a lame attempt of trying to make everything seem as normal as possible, but of course I know it isn't.

I'm kidnapped. One of my best friends is one of the kidnappers. My ankle is broken. I'm locked in a room and even if the door wouldn't be locked, I still wouldn't be able to walk. Right now, my life honestly sucks.

And what can I do about it?

Absolutely nothing.

I've already searched through the room, trying to find something useful, but as suspected I found nothing.

I know I can't run away because of the condition I'm in, but that doesn't mean I can't get out of here. If I can't get to the police, the police have to come to me. I won't give up that easily, I won't let them break me. I won't lose the bet.

Therefore, I need to find a phone or computer. I need something that can help me connect with the world outside this stupid walls and fence.

But I don't think they are that stupid to just leave something like that free to me to take. They are smart, but I have to be smarter.

How I will succeed however is still an unanswered question.

I roll over on my back and hiss in pain as the movement made my ankle hurt. I focus on taking deep breaths to calm down, both for the pain and the frustration I feel over being powerless and not able to escape - yet.

The stereo shift to another song and I immediately recognize it, it used to be one of my favourite songs, and I almost starts laughing at the lyrics.

How come all girls fall for the bad guys?  Well, I got an easy answer for that. They don't.

Kidnappers are -obviously- bad, but I don't have the slightest feeling for any of them. I don't like them, I despise them.

I hate them.

Suddenly I'm not in the mood for music anymore, and I sit up to go, or more like crawl, to the stereo and turn it off, when the tv screen catches my attention.

A familiar face is on the screen with a woman in her twenties standing in front of the face of the picture with a microphone in her hand. Her lips are moving, but I can't hear what she is saying so I grab the remote and turn up the volume to max. Now, the voice of the newswoman who stands in front of a picture of me drowns the sound of the music.

"Therefore, her biological parents have now joined the searching for their orphaned daughter who got kidnapped yesterday when a group of young criminals stormed into Beckwith High School and kidnapped five girls, which only two have been freed and returned safely to their families." The woman made a pause and a picture of a woman with chocolate colored hair and gray eyes showed up by the side of a tall man with short hair in the color of honey, and icing blue eyes.

The woman's hair is the same as my original hair color, and the icing blue eyes belonging to the man is identical to my own.

Realization hits me like a lightning. It's my parents.

It takes time for the words to sink in, but the picture remains as the woman continue to speak, but I can no longer hear what she says. I'm too shocked.

My real parents, who abandoned me when I was a little baby, just born, are now looking for me. Their daughter.

Tears are now resting in the brim of my eyes and I almost scream out loud when the news reporter disappears from the screen, together with my parents.