I

When her Aunt Harriet died, she practically had to gamble all their remaining property back in New York just so she can afford a ticket to London and a search for her cousin Nathaniel, her aunt's son. Her mother is her Aunt Harriet's sister.

Back those days, all she had is bits and pieces of her memories with Nate in their apartment - of them dancing and messing around like the kids they were.

Calmness still flooded his eyes when she saw him again after all those years. He is still Nate, but somehow more elegant and sophisticated; his blonde hair always well-combed, his premium looking clothes always pressed, his shoes always shined. His job as a facility manager at some clockwork company apparently pays too well.

He inherited her father's job he abandoned just so Richard Gray can move to America. Her dad was a company favourite, it seems.

She finished her studies there in London. Nate is very attentive of her needs. She never heard him say a word whenever she asks money for some school-related task.

"You're like a sister to me." He would always say whenever she questions him. "Besides, we've only got each other."

And it's true. Her parents died on a tragic car accident when she was three.

There are nights where she would sometimes go to Nate's office. He still won't mind. His workmates are friendly too. They're all kind to her, and then there is the boss.

The boss.

The boss.

Say anything about this to Nathaniel and I shall see that his little twat is fired.

Tessa took a large gulp off her morning coffee. It seared through her throat. She did her best to calm herself down as subtle as possible lest Nate should discover anything. He's too busy on the newspaper, but he'll notice something's wrong.

She took psychology for a reason.

In another life, she would be a graduate of English Literature, working for publishing houses, getting exclusive previews of novels about to be released. She can even have a say on the book's content.

But she should stop daydreaming and perhaps start preparing herself for her first day in her work.

"Today's your first day in that hospital, right?" Nate inquired, not even bothered to look up from his paper.

She hummed in response.

"Well, be careful." He warned, "It's not safe dealing with nutjobs."

"I know." Tessa said. "I believe I am more than qualified, though."

Today, her job as a nurse in London Institute for the Mentally Ill starts. The asylum is fresh for the competition, having just been opened eight years ago, being owned in private and all. Why someone would invest in an asylum, Tessa has no idea.

She took a taxi. The asylum is just in the city, built in replacement of some old church. She doesn't know what to expect when she got out of the cab the first time she went there, but now, the rather gothic exterior of the building isn't new to her. The people who owned the asylum apparently didn't bothered demolishing the old church off their lot. It actually helped in setting the mood of the place. The hospital looks out of place in modern-day London.

She got out of her cab, paid the driver and unbuttoned her coat to run a hand on her uniform. She is well aware that she can always change inside the facility, but she wants to make an impression. The first one always lasts, or so they say.

She approached the reception area manned by a young blonde woman. Emma B is what's indicated on the gold plate pinned on her left chest. The lady attended her cheerfully.