59

Now, Annie wasn't silly, she may be able to say silly things, and may have done silly things without thinking in the past; but she wasn't silly. The pieces surrounding her on the floor was like some sort of giant puzzle, one which she just stared at with hard, confused eyes for way longer than it actually felt. Now she understood why the delivery man looked her up and down quizzically and wished her luck before departing; although, he seemed more than happy to escape the apartment block once it was discovered she couldn't come collect the package at the front door. Hauling the box up the two flights of stairs, which were narrow, was no easy feat and probably was more than what he signed up for from this shift.

Annie pouted, she felt somewhat offended over the sarcasm of some stranger wishing her luck. She didn't need luck, she had instructions; flatpack furniture, was a law all unto itself as she quickly found out. Oh, the instructions were useful...if there was writing that accompanied the diagrams. There wasn't. There was literally just simply designed diagrams, line drawings for simplicity at best so anyone could follow and put things together. With or without a degree in understanding hieroglyphics...that's how she felt, she honestly felt like she was looking over some ancient language that scholars and historians would understand.

Over the last few weeks, give or take a month or two, Jonathan's room was slowly actually looking like a baby's bedroom. Before it was just filled with rubbish, her rubbish, and now most of that had all gone. The walls were washed and painted, and Clark did get the parts she couldn't get, because of a ladder. New curtains were hung, a small rug that was super fluffy was spread out, Annie got too much satisfaction on standing on it without socks. Clark may have caught her doing that once or twice, he was confused, and left her to it shaking his head.

But furniture, that was a doozy. It wasn't like Jonathan would need much, babies didn't actually need much, right? Annie was winging in some regard still here. But a chest of drawers, that also had a changing station on the top seemed enough for him...four or five drawers could fit all of his clothes, plus bedding and anything else that needed to be shoved in there. But naturally the most obvious piece of furniture was missing in action, a crib.

Did she honestly think the thing would look like some form of giant, infuriating, torture device. By that, mainly torturing her brain. How could something that literally had a base and four sides be hard? Annie rubbed at her side, feeling a small shift happen underneath her palm just had her humming. Maybe she could blame this on baby brain? That was a legit thing, right? Time seemed to have shifted ever closer to Jonathan coming, and she was just going to blame fretting over getting everything ready for him.

Three months, give or take that if he decided to appear early. She looked upwards at the ceiling, she was praying he didn't come early, she really wasn't ready. But then she remembered her mother saying on the phone one night; "Babies don't work by normal time scales. You came early, kicking and screaming and all small waving arms and legs." Rebecca had turned wistful then, going off on saying how small and cute she had been. Had been. Annie huffed at that, though she had to laugh, her mother not finding her small and cute anymore, was not the end of the world.

Annie hadn't even packed a bag, in case Jonathan did want to come early. She winced and shifted on the cushion she was sitting on. Maybe she should do that, actually. She was tempted to leave the jigsaw around herself and go do that. But she didn't. With determination she pushed herself to kneel, encouraging herself mentally she set to the task. It was the last thing which was needed in this room, it would be nice to be finished in here for when he came.

After actually setting to doing the task at hand and not dallying around, Annie found that it was actually an awful lot simpler than she thought. She was just being...silly, she slapped a hand to her forehead gently, so much for not registering that. Ignorance didn't get her anywhere. Getting off the floor wasn't easy, and the crib was a good crutch, but once up she decided she'd go pack a bag just in case.