52

The exploration of the city didn't quite go as Annie had planned; for one, much like any busy city, there seemed to always be some level of construction going on. This meant that trying to cross the bridge to, well, anywhere else in the city was annoyingly hard. The alternatives were to sit in traffic, being charged a ridiculous amount for a taxi fare, or try and walk only to see the footpaths closed off.

Clark didn't seem to mind, Annie minded. Miagani Island, not that it was dreadful, but there wasn't all much here. "So we're currently in the southernmost part of the city. It is also the most populated, urbanely I mean. There's so many people crammed here to live, it's a bit mad. Hence why we're surrounded by so many tall buildings. Over there, you can just about see Wayne Tower." Annie said from her seat, a really cheap deckchair had been left on the roof of her father's apartment block. She sat with her legs kicked up on the brickwork wall surrounding the edge. She wasn't so sure why it meant a lot to her to try and prove that the city wasn't all bad like Clark presumed. She guessed it was just something ingrained in her. She didn't like being wrong. Her home city may have been dodgy, but it still had good in it somewhere.

Most people here, much like back in Metropolis, were just trying to get by with their day to day lives. It might also have something to do with proving that while he was gone, she had been fine here, in this city where he had some trepidation. She did cast a glance in Clark's direction, he sat similarly to her, although it may have a bit more comical considering she had to pull the chair closer to the wall to prop her legs up, he didn't. So really, her glancing at him was more like her throwing a look over her shoulder.

Clark seemed to sense this and scooted the chair closer to hers. Lifting the bottle of soda which Simon seemed to oddly buy all of a sudden, and which Annie had presented to him with a sceptical look, Clark just nodded. He didn't need to know that Annie hadn't really ever witnessed her father buy soda, even when she was a kid. It was random to say the least. "I can think of someone in particular that would like all these tall buildings."

Annie snorted a laugh and leaned her head back against the rickety chair. It did make an odd groan each time she moved, which had them both look warily at it. "Grand Ave is in that direction. I mean, we could still go there...but I'm kinda over the thought of potentially dragging you shopping, even if I said I wouldn't."

"Thought the plan was to explore?" Clark raised an eyebrow, watching as her eyes stared off to the side distractedly. Her fingers absentmindedly picked at the label on the bottle as her mouth downturned and she shrugged. So she had always intended to drag him shopping it seemed.

"Bristol and Kingston have more shops, but more entertainment districts..." The way in which she trailed off had Clark believing that most of those entertainment districts weren't exactly friendly, or suitable for younger people within the city. Annie seemed to come out of her thoughts, perking up slightly at something else that apparently came to her mind, she looked at him with a smile. Clark just smiled back, he had sort of become more accustomed to her bouts of thoughtfulness. "Rumour had it, on one of the many times he got detained, Deacon Blackfire shouted out that he had met the original inhabitants of this island. I'm not quite sure why he thought bringing up the tribe the island is named after was a good idea, but then he is nuts...so..." Annie trailed off with a scratch to her head, it was useless information and from the confused look on Clark's face, Annie was totally aware he didn't really know who Deacon Blackfire was.

"You good?" Clark asked, noticing her staring off into space again. He begrudged asking, mainly because he could only imagine she had grown so fed up of being asked this almost constantly.

Annie bit her lip in thought before looking away from whatever to look at him. "I was just thinking."

"You should be careful. I swear some opinion column suggested doing such heavy thinking with potential baby brain could be dangerous." Clark commented with a smirk while drinking from the bottle in his hands again. Annie dryly rolled her eyes in his direction, though her expression only stayed that way for a few more moments before she laughed quietly and shook her head.