33

"How do we determine what's good? In a democracy good is a conversation not a unilateral decision. So I urge Superman to come to this hall tomorrow, to see those who have suffered; the world needs to know what happened in that desert, and what he stands for. How far will he take his power? Does he act by our will, or by his own?"

So there were a few things about this conference which had piqued Annie's interest. The foremost being a meeting. Somehow she was dubious, calling Clark to a meeting, where what? Where the guilt he may already feel could be laid on thicker? Where, his actions would be hugely questioned, consequences of said actions being pushed to the fore. Clark wouldn't kick up a fuss at this meeting, Annie already knew he'd go. But he would be his usual civil and diplomatic self.

Another point that piqued her interest too, was Wallace. The man appeared cleaner, more with it and was sitting within a new, rather state of the art looking wheelchair. The suit he was in was light in colour and seemed expensive. It was like he was a whole new person. She didn't recognise this Wallace. His appearance couldn't help but have Annie's stomach drop, she felt uneasy.

Also, what desert? Annie was clearly missing something here. What desert, and where? What was this reference? Annie knew she was kept out of the loop of some of the more dangerous things which Clark got up to. He thought he was doing her a favour because she could take some sort of personal hurt from it.

Lastly, the constant questioning was getting on her last nerve. One would think that by now the human race would've put two and two together and realised Clark was here to do good. She stuck by what she said to Bruce; if Clark wanted all life on Earth wiped out, he would've done it by now. The worst part was that it really wouldn't have taken much effort considering he's the strongest being on the planet.

Annie sat and looked at the television set which was in the office space at work. She watched June plainly speak without much emotion in her voice, she seemed urging almost desperately pleading, but that was about it. Frowning and looking around, she was rather pleased to see that no one was loitering around her computer space. The small wall partitions blocked her off as she decided to do some investigating, rather than work. That and she wanted to get in contact with Bruce, she'd been in contact with her father and he had not exactly held back on a car chase which tore up parts of the city. Even more so when gossip had it that Superman was present too.

"Go figure," Annie muttered and quickly typed away. Okay, she really appreciated Clark keeping her out of the loop of some things. But when that something involved Bruce? Perhaps not. Even though sure, he didn't know Batman and Bruce were one and the same; it was still awkward as hell and it really settled unhappily and bitterly in her. Apparently nowhere important to Clark was the equivalent to finding Bruce, Batman, and confronting him. Like that was really nowhere important.

Shaking her head, she looked over what details there was, which wasn't much before sending a message to Bruce. She took the obviousness of their last conversation on board and figured he was after this mineral. Just so happened that Clark somehow wanted to get in on this too. She knew he had some sort of problem regarding Batman, but personally confronting him was perhaps the most stupid thing he could've done. And Annie couldn't tell him that, because he hadn't told her about last night, and if she came out with it, it'd show she'd been snooping.

Sue her for being curious. Looking to her phone when it lit up, she read over the simple message, "Not yet." Which meant that Lex still owned this mineral thing. Annie slapped a hand to her forehead. She figured he probably would've got it if it wasn't for Clark appearing. As for this desert thing, what information she found caused her to tense and frown deeply at the screen.