TWIST

Tuesday morning.

Roxy was going to be late today. She was to report to work at 6 A.M o'clock, but it was now 6 A.M and she still hadn't left the apartment.

She was panicking. She couldn't find her phone. Couldn't find her hair-pins. Couldn't even find her handbag.

At last she slid her hand beneath the couch and heaved a sigh of relieved when she touched something that felt like her handbag and pulled it out. The phone and pin were in it.

She rushed out, locked the door and was running when she saw a man coming behind her in the hallway. She slowed down deliberately.

A handsome man. I must greet him.

"Hi" He said as he extended his hand towards Roxy.

Wow lucky day for me.

"Hi."

"Do you live here?"

"Yes, I do."

"Sorry, my manners, Jim. Jim Dava."

"Roxanne Harris. You can call me Roxy."

Her eyes were gleaming. She was very pleased at this new sight. A man.

Could be my new boyfriend. Fate please make this happen.

"I moved in recently...."

"Sorry," Roxy interrupted. "I'm a bit late for work I could check on you at your house later in the day. Mind giving me your phone number?"

"Oh yes, that will be nice. Here's my number." He handed her his business card.

Jim Dava
Senior Graphic Designer
....

"You can find me at door number 3. Right next to yours."

"Nice to know. See you later, right?"

"Yes, right."

As they left the building they went their separate ways.

Nice way to start a day. I hope he's single. I hope I will not meet his wife and children when I pay him a visit.

She was feeling lucky. She did not have to join a dating site or join the gym to meet a man. Fate had brought him to her.

Thanks fate.

When she stepped out of the taxi she ran to the office. She relaxed when she realised the boss hadn't shown up yet.

She went to her office and sat in her desk. She needed this time to think.

I can't wait to end the day. I will go straight to Jim's place. Should I change my clothes? Maybe into something casual? Something sexier? No. I don't want it to seem like I have romantic interests in him. Okay, no changing clothes.

A phone call. Jerry. It had been a while since they last communicated.

"Hi Jerry."

"Hi Roxy. Hey, can I show up at around 8?"

"Yes that's fine. Welcome."

"Thanks love, bye."

"Bye."

Oh Jerry. How am I going to wean him off me?

As the day progressed, Roxy's excitement continued to grow. She was going to get acquainted to someone new. She couldn't wait.

At 5 P.M. the office closed and she rushed out to catch a taxi. She had to check out Jim and still freshen up for Jerry. And knowing Jerry, he could show up too early. She wouldn't be surprised if she found him waiting for her at the hallway even now.

She dropped her bag and went to Jim's place.Then she rang the bell.

It will be very awkward if a female opens thus door. Oh fate please work for me this one last time, let this man be single.

The door swung open and standing there to Roxy's dismay was a female in an apron.

"Hi..."she held out her hand to greet Roxy.

"Hi..."

"Hey, you must be Jim's guest, I'm his sister Annie. "

Phew ,fate, thanks a lot!

"Hi Annie, I live at number 2, right next door. I'm Roxy."

"Hey Jim!" She yelled. "Roxy's here!"

Jim came running and opened the door wider.

"Hey, Roxy, come in."

The two ladies followed Jim to his kitchen.

"Ladies, I presume you have introduced yourselves to each other...."

"Yes!" Annie whispered. "And I'll leave you two I need to be somewhere right now. See you Jim. See you Roxy, nice knowing you."

"See you Annie." Jim and Roxy responded in unison.

Very friendly sister-in-law to-be.

As she walked out Jim went after her and closed the door. Roxy was standing in the kitchen smiling at him.

"Your sister is friendly."

"Yes, she is."

Jim and his sister were fixing a meal and Roxy was lucky to come knocking the door just when it was ready.

Jim fixed two plates and invited Roxy to his living-room to eat with him. She accepted his invite.

As they ate, there was a moment of awkward silence. The ice had to be broken.

"Do you like this place?" Roxy asked

"I do, I like it a lot. Especially now that I have already made a friend."

A friend? Oh no. I need to leave the friend-zone swiftly.

"Are you single or married?"

I don't want to make the mistake of not asking again.

"No, I'm a 38 year old bachelor. Never married."

Thanks fate for the umpteenth time!

"Any girlfriend or girlfriends? I'm sorry for being too bold but I'm curious."

I'm not messing up with any other woman's man again. My hands are full. I need to be sure that this man would be all mine.

"No. I'm very single."

Oh wow.

"So, would you take this friend on a date? I'm single too."

Roxy felt silly saying that. First she wasn't single, she had two married boyfriends. Secondly, she had no idea how she'd break off with them now that his prospective boyfriend was living next door.

"That will be an honour. Thanks for making it easy for me to ask you out but I would have done that anyway. So I guess your answer is yes?"

"Definitely."

When they were done eating, Roxy helped Jim with clearing and cleaning the table then left.

It was 7 o'clock already. She wanted to be at her place before Jerry would show up.

As she rushed to her door, she thought she heard someone call her. She turned around. Jerry was standing near Jim's place. He seemed sad.

"I've been here since you came from work."

"Huh?"