Chapter Forty-Four

The sky was pregnant with precipitation as Isabeth steered her SUV down the road

The sky was pregnant with precipitation as Isabeth steered her SUV down the road. Apple radio was connected and favorite song blasted from the speakers. Usually, she'd be dancing in her seat, singing louder than the artist who recorded the song but her vibe of excitement was dead. More appropriately her vibe was murdered, in the hallway after reading the letter Faith gave her.

Isabeth turned down the radio. She slid her hand to the bottom of the steering wheel and took a peek at Benny leaning against the door in the backseat. She glanced at Faith on the passenger side, to see her folding in the seat staring straight ahead focused on her thoughts and not the scenery.

"We should talk about this normally," Isabeth stated feeling every bump the tires rolled over. They didn't say anything so Isabeth filled the silence with her own thoughts. "Sometimes the right thing to do does fall inside the law. You know that better than anybody." She looked at Benny through the rearview mirror for the latter.

Their eyes connected in the mirror and he responded, "And sometimes you stand up to the bully."

"Stand up to the bully." Faith made a joke of his words. "How can we stand up to a bully we don't know?" Benny started to speak but Faith cut him off. "We know nothing about this person and they know everything about us. Stalking us. Baiting us. Threatening us." She dropped her feet off the seat. "I met with Lucas last night and the bastard is out of his mind certifiable..."

Benny jumped in, "You talked to him!" He tried to move closer to the passenger seat, see Faith's face but the seatbelt prevented his movement. "I told you not to."

"You didn't tell that." Faith corrected. "You said you didn't suspect him but I did and I don't know."

Isabeth slowed the car and eased over a pothole, "Why? Why don't you think Lucas is The Imposter?"

"Like Benny said he has an anger problem." She zipped up her jacket the A/C was blowing a little too strong for her. "He's too focused on his own secrets and not concerned about the big picture. He doesn't have the wherewithal conduct a scheme of this magnitude."

Benny unbuckled his seatbelt and scooted to the middle of the seat, "When did you get a psychology degree?"

"I've watched every season of Criminal Minds." Faith answered. "I picked up on some things."

"I'm not Nancy Drew," Isabeth confessed slowing down at a driveway. "I don't have the patience to sleuth. We have finals next week and graduation." She turned onto the driveway, gravel crunched underneath her tires. "And I don't want anyone else to die so let's just get this over with and be done with it." She eased the car to a stop behind Dalton's Maserati.

"People will die if you unleash these psychopaths." Benny opened his door. "They may not be your friends or family but people will die..." He looked at them as he stood next to the car. "And that blood will be on your hands. Not mine. Because I'm not bending under the pressure of a lunatic." He slammed the door and weaved through the cars.

Faith took off her seatbelt, "We don't need him."

Isabeth killed the engine unsure if Faith was right but sure that Benny was. Was she ready to be responsible for the deaths of other people, when Fulton's blood was weighing on her conscience?

Is Benny right, will they be responsible the for deaths of innocent people if they let the psychopaths out?