Chapter Forty-Two

Isabeth didn't comprehend the thirty-two-minute drive from the hospital back to Dawson Toliver Academy, as soon as she buckled up her seatbelt she dozed off

Isabeth didn't comprehend the thirty-two-minute drive from the hospital back to Dawson Toliver Academy, as soon as she buckled up her seatbelt she dozed off. The wheels rolling over the blacktop, two-lane road was her bedtime story and the wind breezing through the cracked window was a lullaby. She wouldn't have known she was back on campus if Troy didn't open her door and unsnapped her seatbelt.

Deep in an opioid daze, Isabeth took Troy's hand and he led the way. She kept her eyes closed and with her arm wrapped around his, they gingerly walked up the stairs and down the hall of Primrose Dorm. Her head rested on his shoulder and she felt one thing. Safe. She wanted to be angry with him for hooking up with Faith but she had been treating him like a redheaded stepchild for a couple of weeks. They weren't dating and she had no right to tell him what to do.

Troy's footsteps stopped so hers followed suit. "We're here." He gently pushed a lock of her hair from her face. "This is your stop, sleepyhead."

"Hmm." She snuggled her head closer on his shoulder. "Where are we?" She tried to pull her eyes open but her heavy lids didn't want to give. She unwrapped her arm from his then took his hand in hers. "My room."

"Yeah," Troy said. "This is your door." He patted his hand on the wood barricaded entryway.

"That's my door." She pointed with shock. "I live here."

"Yes." Troy tried to hide his amusement. "What cocktail did they give you back there?"

"Um." She collapsed against the door, her good arm dangling at her side and the pink cast one folded on her chest on top of the sling draped around her neck. "They called it..."

Isabeth closed her eyes and her head fell. Her knees buckled and she began to slide down the door. Troy grabbed her by the waist and she felt into him. Her body firmly against his and her head nuzzled on his chest.

Troy wrapped his arm around her waist, "Where's your key."

"The doors unlocked." She muttered quickly falling asleep."

Troy twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open. He looped her good arm around his neck and hooked his arm under her knees, hoisting her up. He walked into the dark room not bothering to turn on a light. He'd been in that room as many times as his own. He knew where everything was. He slowly deposited her in the bed. Her head fell on the pillow and she stretched her legs out with a smile on her face.

"My Isabeth." He whispered staring at her longingly. He leaned over and softly kissed her forehead.

"That's enough." A raspy voice spoke in the darkness.

Troy turned in the direction of the voice, "Faith. Is that you?" He opened his eyes wider but he wasn't a canine. He couldn't see in the dark.

"This is the girl dorm. You should not be here." The raspy voice stated. "Go."

It was getting late and he didn't want to get in trouble so Troy advanced toward the door. "No one likes a lurker." He informed before closing the door.

Do you think that was Faith hiding in the darkness or someone else?