Transcendental

Transcendental Prelude

 It was one touch that undid her. Her pale face lit up in shock as she began to fall, tumbling down to the black sea that roared below her. The thin girl was seeing her life flash before her eyes, that much was clear from the emotion of realization that dawned upon her small face; she was going to die and no one would know it. That red hair of hers was the beacon of fire that was extinguished as she plunged into the water, disappearing from the eyes of the world.

“You know I hate this part of the job, Coriz.” Unharmed, a tall man stood looking over the edge of the cliff, watching the girl's death unfold beneath him. His gray suit was impeccably cut, showing off his perfect body.

The man behind him, taller and broader than the one who had spoken, only laughed. It was deep and throaty sound. “I would say you had lost your humanity if you felt any other way, Jonathan.”

Jonathan sighed, straightening from his position as he walked away from the edge. “What humanity?” He asked, more of himself than of the man who followed.

Coriz watched as Jonathan's dark curly hair was swept into the wind, as his long legs took each step closer to the car. “Your remorse only proves it true; you still have your humanity, Jonathan.”

The long legs stopped their movement abruptly, ensuring that Coriz had to stop himself. “I just killed yet another girl for you, Coriz, and yet you tease me about my sense of humanity. Let me just ask of you this; if I had that and truly did feel remorse, would I still be doing these acts for you?”

"Stop this needless worrying, my friend, it will be your undoing."  

Jonathan mused solemnly that this might have been the first time his name was not used in one of Coriz's sentences. "Maybe I would rather be undone than do this." 

 "Jonathan," His name had managed to be used again. "You know you have no choice, your binding is very clear on this." 

"What if I did? What if I was doing all this by my own free will?" 

There came the sound of laughter yet again. “Oh, Jonathan, your manner humors me as much as it confounds me. Come, let us get some food.” Coriz threw an arm around the smaller man and led him to the car before getting in the driver's seat and driving off, leaving the drowned body of the young girl behind as rain began to hammer down upon the Earth.