My Fanfic is in Romance, DUMBASS!

Ugh.

This is almost as bad as saying you're 6 inches taller than you are.

Because it's pretty damn obvious you're not, you dunderhead.

Genres. Where stories are filed into because of a common, recurring theme that the stories share.

Now, these genres are often misunderstood. So I thought I should explain some of them in simple terms.

Fantasy - Often contains supernatural or otherwise extraordinary creatures, worlds and themes. Doesn't have a set time period, but it typically takes place in the past; like the Dark Ages and just before/during the Industrial Revolution.

Historical Fiction - They should use historically accurate depictions of characters and setting (unless it is an Alternate Historical Fiction), even if it crosses with another genre. For example, depicting how a female warrior would be uncommon/looked down upon in 16th Century China. Must take place in the past.

Romance - Generally revolves around a cast of characters. Focuses on the romantic relationship of two characters and how they develop. Often takes place in a modern setting.

Paranormal - Similar to Fantasy, except they often take place in the real world. Extraordinary creatures and various happenings occur. They often take place in the modern world.

Fanfiction - Are always based/using the characters, world, plot or mechanics of a pre-existing series. This often includes Original Characters (OCs) alongside established characters of a story/franchaise.

Alternate Universe (AUs) and Single Character Features (SCFs) are included. Meaning that if one character of a pre-existing series/franchaise/book features in a story (without being a reference. Like a core/side character), it would be a fanfiction.

Did you notice something there? It's a fanfiction if you are 'using the characters, world, plot or mechanics of a pre-existing series'.

Even if your fanfiction has a sub-genre or theme of romance, it can't be placed there under any grounds. If you place it under any other category than fanfiction, you are essentially claiming the plot, mechanics, ideas, characters, world and frachaise of the fanfiction belong to you.

This is disgusting.

Having people claim your work or any part of it as their own is horrible.

Unless you made or own the series that you wrote about in your book, it is a fanfiction. Writing a disclaimer isn't enough.

Change the category to fanfiction. That way, you're saying it is not your franchaise/series/novel that made the characters or mechanics you're using in your story, but the original owner's.

But, if your story is already under fanfiction, then you needn't worry. You've done the right thing. Puting a disclaimer there as well is also nice, because you're kinda paying tribute to the author.