Chapter Four - Mister Mai and Caleb Seung

Start from the beginning

Wedding music played from a nearby room, and my head swiveled in its direction. The laughing newlyweds stumbled their way out of the room with flower girls holding the bride’s long dress.

I desperately attempted to duck and stay under the radar, but the familiar bride nearly choked as she saw me, “Ashleigh!”

I swiftly turned to the opposite direction, franticly praying that she was calling another Ashleigh’s name.

“Ash! Oh, Ash!” She was closer in distance, and before I knew it, I felt a tiny hand grab my shoulder. Oh, for crying out loud! Who in the world was I kidding? I was the only one named Ashleigh.

For a tiny girl, she sure had a strong grip. “Aye, Chica!”

Throwing on the best grin I could manage, I turned around to the bride. “Hey,”

“Hey?” She nearly screamed, then mumbled a few words in Japanese. “Is that the way you great your best friend before she leaves for her honeymoon?”

I chuckled at the funny face she made, hugging the life out of her. For a moment, I forgot my current situation. “Congratulations, Mai.”

Her beautiful laughter filled my ears. “Now, that’s what I’m talking about!”

“I’m gonna miss you.” I replied. “Sorry about missing your wedding, and have fun…wherever your hubby, Caleb is planning on taking you.”

She pulled apart from me, giving me the chance to look at how beautiful she was. Her curled hair fell around her porcelain face and shoulders. Whoever had done her make-up did a fantastic job even though she was barely wearing any at all.

“I still think that a-hole of a manager is a baka.” She narrowed her eyes, shaking her head. You could always depend on her to curse someone out in Japanese. “He was so wrong for not letting you get off work for just an hour to see me get married!”

And, he’s an a-hole for firing me over something I didn’t even do.

I bit my tongue to not mention anything. It was Mai’s special day, and I couldn’t ruin that with my personal crap of a life. I grinned again, “Well, at least I get to see you now, before you leave.”

“Ash,” she said as I noticed her smile slightly falter. “I want you to make friends from now on.” She brightly laughed at her own joke, even though it wasn’t much of one.

Even though Mai had graduated high school two years ago, she was still my only best friend. It wasn’t as if I was a loner, and had no best friends to save my life – I had a few associates that I spoke with from time to time – but Mai was my best friend since practically forever and no one could replace her.

I gently giggled back, trying to forget about the growing pain of being lonely without my best friend. It seemed as if Mai almost caught it, but before she could say anything, her groom swiftly picked her up bridal-style.

“Ay,” she yelled in surprise, saying a few more words in Japanese.

“It’s time to go, anae,” Caleb happily grinned, kissing her cheek. They giggled like the two kids they were. Caleb turned to me as if just realizing that I was there. “’Sup, Ash!”

I chuckled at their cuteness, “Hey, Caleb.”

He smiled, then went back to messing with his new wife. He pretended he was going to drop her before holding her closely again.

“Hyun-woo Seung, put me down before I kick you in bad places!”

Caleb’s face lit up as she called him by his real name. “Ooh, I love it when you say my name, Mai!”

“You wanna die?”

“…In your arms?”

Mai bit her tongue. “I hate you, Caleb.”

He returned her playfully sour attitude with a kiss on her lips. “Mhm, keep saying that. That’s what drove me to marrying you in the first place.”

Their relationship was a little funny. Not in the joking way, but strangely cute. The two couldn’t stand each other, especially back in high school, but there was something that always kept them together. Their love story was about two enemies who found each other. I guess you could say that they were the famous star-crossed lovers.

“Well, I don’t want to hold you guys. You’ve got somewhere to be, right?”

“Totally,” Caleb winked. “We’ll see you later!”

Before Caleb could run off with Mai, she put herself down and ran to give me a final hug. “I’ll miss you, Sis.”

Hugging her as tight as I could. “I’ll miss you more.”

Mai squeezed my hand before finally departing. It was then that I realized I was back to the present – back to my current situation.