61: kyoto, day four (2)*

京都市、四日目

They came to land on a large and sturdy branch of a huge tree that stood just on the outer circle of a relatively small clearing. It was a smooth landing, but still she stumbled as Shin set her on her own two feet again. It was like she was more on wavering sea-legs than steady land-legs. The only reason she didn't actually fall was because Shin kept a firm hold of her shoulders to avoid it.

She thanked him and moved away just enough that she could think clearly, without the scent and warmth of Shin clouding her judgement (an unfortunately already tried and proven likelihood), but still close enough to him. After all, she was in foreign territory. Only Shin knew exactly where they were. It was logical to remain by his side. That was what she told herself. Repeatedly.

She glanced down suspiciously at the trunk they stood on. She lifted her foot and stomped very, very lightly on it.

Shin looked down to see what she was doing. "Don't worry," he chuckled wryly. "This tree is strong."

"How do you know?" she asked doubtfully.

"I've been coming here for years." He tipped a smile at her as he knelt down on the edge. "If I'm going to land on something, I make sure that it can hold my weight, and another person's if need be. Second rule of being an airborne Tengu."

"What is the first?"

"Fly to begin with."

Her gaze sharpened on him when she saw him wince and tilt his head to the side, one eye closed. "Are you all right?"

He nodded. "Just a headache."

With a light grunt, Shin heaved himself off the branch and landed on the ground below with a thump. She gaped disbelievingly at him as he twisted around on the balls of his feet to look back at her. The distance between the ground and the branch was double his height, not to mention at least triple hers. She was a dwarf compared to Shin.

"Come on," he called up. "Jump."

"You are joking."

"I'm not." The smirk on his face was not in the least bit reassuring.

"In case you cannot tell, Shin-san," she retorted haughtily. "I do not have wings like you. And according to Shii-chan, I am a dwarf. If I stand next to a Tolkien dwarf, I am a midget."

"You're not that short. You're just surrounded by tall people."

Pai was distressingly pleased that he recognized that. "Fine, that is true, but it is still too far down for me to just jump."

He lifted his hands up invitingly to her. "I'll catch you. I will," he insisted drily when she narrowed her eyes dubiously at him.

She wished she could say that she doubted it, but she didn't. If this was Haru or Kaede, she'd be able to say it, because those two were forever tricking everyone around them, but this was Shin. She knew he'd catch her if he said he would.

At a loss for any other excuse she gestured at her homongi. "This is really pretty, and I will ruin it."

"Indeed you make it very pretty, and I'm sure the Palace can easily replace it."

She reddened at his words and sighed in defeat, running out of excuses. Dropping down, she sat primly just on the edge of the branch, locking her ankles together quickly.

"Do not dare look up, or I will hit you. Promise?"

Shin grinned cockily. "Aren't we feeling feisty today?"