07: white-haired girl*

白毛女の子

When Shiori came out of the shop, thanking the shopkeeper for allowing her to use their bathroom when she didn't buy anything, she didn't see Pai anywhere. She frowned, a twinge of concern inching its way through her. She quickly walked up to the place where the two had separated not more than five minutes ago.

Pai wasn't there.

Shiori turned in a full circle without blinking, looking around. She didn't see Pai anywhere. After a few more moments of looking around, she quickly jogged back to the shop she had just left, asking if anyone had seen a girl with white hair enter. She thought that maybe Pai decided to follow her after all, and they had just missed each other.

"No, no girl has been in. We have never seen a girl like that.," one of the attendants said. "Sorry."

...what?

"It is fine." It was not fine. "Thank you for your help." Shiori bowed and left the shop.

She went back to where she had left Pai, turning another full rotation, but Pai still didn't magically materialize from out of nowhere. Shiori was starting to get a bad feeling in her stomach. Something was wrong. There was no way this was Pai playing some kind of prank on her, either. She hadn't even wanted to let Shiori go alone to the bathroom. Ryu would definitely pull something like this, but Pai? No way.

So...where was she?

Shiori walked up the street to where the shrine stood at the base of the hill. She stood in front of the torii gates that were built by the staircase that led up to the entrance. She stared up for a moment, at the pair of Komainu that stood guard at the top. A man, in simple monk clothing, was sweeping fallen leaves and other debris from the foot of the torii gates. He was an elderly man, somewhere in his late sixties or mid-seventies.

She tore her gaze from the Komainu, valiantly ignoring the confusing swirl of feelings in her stomach when she thought of the Kamigami they guarded, and approached the man.

"Excuse me," she called, trying to sound as sweet and apologetic as possible. He glanced at her, and walked down the final steps to reach her with a kind smile at the ready for her.

"Good evening, I am sorry to bother you in your work," Shiori said, bowing deeply to him.

"It is no problem, child." The wrinkled groves of his face deepened as his smile grew in that peculiar way elderly smiled at younger people, as if they were amused. "How can I help you?"

"I just wanted to ask if you have seen a girl with white hair anywhere around here?" she gestured to her chin. "She is about this tall, it that helps."

The man settled the broom by his side, regarding her seriously. "White hair, hmm? Are you and that girl the two who live up the hill?"

Shiori hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do remember her. White hair. She had on a blue shirt, yes?" he clarified. She nodded eagerly. "She was standing by the bus stop last I looked."

Shiori followed his pointing finger to the signpost indicating the bus stop. It was empty. She stared unblinkingly, as if, if she looked long enough, Pai would wink into sight, or step out from hiding in the bushes.

She didn't.

The man scratched his head. He looked genuinely confused. "I do not remember seeing her leave. Must be my age getting to me."

Shiori turned back to the man and bowed again, a lump in her throat. "Thank you very much for your help. I will go look for her."

The man nodded, smiling, as she turned and walked away. She went to the bus stop, walking slowly as she frowned, thinking. Where could Pai have gone? Why was she gone in the first place? They needed to get back to Ayashi House before six o'clock, Pai knew that.