Twenty-Six

i was supposed to post this one tomorrow, but i said to myself, you guys waited long enough. thank you so much for your reads, comments and votes! it all means so much to me <3 i hope you enjoy, and stay tuned for the misadventures of the avengers: civil war!

+

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Thor Odinson, please proceed to Principal Fury's office immediately."

The intercom repeated the sentence once more before turning the audio off. I shoved my books into my locker and turned around, locking eyes with Tony Stark from across the hall. He looked just as confused as I was.

"We haven't had any recent pranks, have we?" Tony asked, slipping beside me as I closed my locker.

"Not that I know of, no," I answered. "The last one I remember is at least a month ago."

"This is serious, Steve. In all my years in this place, I haven't seen the Principal out of his office."

I shrugged, moving past him. We walked along the hallways shoulder-to-shoulder, and I must admit that I was slightly nervous. I haven't heard much of Principal Fury either, but I was trying to be optimistic.

"You know, I could be in college right now," Tony said, shoving his hands deep in his jean pockets. "Oxford, Harvard, Yale, you name it. Principal Fury wouldn't let me graduate so easily, even with my exceptional performance."

"Do you have a point?"

Tony rolled his eyes. "Point is, if Principal Fury is calling you in his office, you are either never going out or insanely lucky."

As I craned my neck, I could see our friends come into view, gathering outside the Secretary's office. "How bad can it be?" I looked at Tony, he only gave me a 'you're dumb' look.

"Hey," I greeted. I was met with a few grumbles as response. Bruce was practically shaking, pacing back and forth in deep thought. Thor's jaw was clenched, an unusually gloomy look on his face. Clint and Natasha seemed much more relaxed, sitting on the lined-up stools pressed against the wall.

"Let's go in," I finally said after a moment of silence. I stepped in front of the door, the others looming behind me. I took a deep breath before pushing open the door.

"It's about time, Principal Fury is waiting," Mrs. Hill greeted us from behind the desk. "Just knock on his door before you come in."

I nodded a silent thanks and proceeded on. I straightened my back before knocking. I looked behind me at my friends, who only just urged me to go on to our deaths. I twisted the knob and at the same time, different scenarios played in my head. What would Principal Fury look like? He probably has some sort of long beard or something. He must be a senile, old man with graying hair and a billion cats.

What I saw, I did not expect.

Principal Fury sat in the middle of a big leather chair, wearing all-black clothing – leather jacket, trench coat. He was bald, and had facial hair, as I expected. But not as long as I'd imagined. But what caught my eye was the eyepatch on his left eye. I didn't know if it was real or not.

"Good afternoon, Principal Fury," the six of us said in chorus.

"Close the door and come sit on the chairs," Fury ordered, voice deep and demanding.