Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Tony and I took Bruce's body and put him on the backseat of the car, hoping when he woke up, he was normal Bruce again. The cops had already come, with the girl's parents. Again, they thanked us and went off, the Mohawk guy with them. Tony and I went inside the car with Jarvis, waiting for Bruce to wake up before delivering him to his house.

It was already 5PM when Bruce started to stir.

"Hey, Bruce? You okay?" I asked, tone low. It was my fault that he was even unconscious in the first place.

Bruce's eyes fluttered open, looking around. "Did I – Did I hurt anybody?"

Tony said, "Well, other than the bad guy, you kind of punched – "

"Nobody good," I said, giving Tony's direction a glare.

"You sure? 'Cause Tony said that – "

"I take it back," Tony said. "You punched the right guy, no worries."

"And the girl? Is she alright?"

"With her parents and the cops," I nodded. Bruce smiled slightly.

"I'm kind of tired. Can we go now, Jarv?" Tony said. The driver-slash-butler tipped his head and went up to the road into Bruce's street. Our friend immediately went inside after thanking Tony and Jarvis for the ride, and me for helping him calm down. Something told me he knew he punched Tony in the face.

I was stepping out of the car when Tony stopped me.

"Hey, hey, hey, Cap! Where do you think you're going?"

"Um, home."

"Well, we'll drive you," Tony said, one of his brows raised in a mocking manner.

"I think I'll prefer walking from here. I would like to prolong my trip towards Ms. Smith," I said. Although it was partially true, most of the reason was because I didn't want to hear Tony babble about his sex life.

Tony shrugged. "As you wish, Star Spangled Man." I rolled my eyes. The guy can't seem to stop giving me nicknames. For all I know, he'll start calling me 'Mr. America' next time.

+

"Steven! What have I told you about bullies?" Ms. Smith angrily stomped her feet as soon as I stepped in the orphanage. "Looks like they've done it this time!"

"I'm sorry, but it wasn't a bully," I said.

"Then who would do such a thing?" Ms. Smith worriedly touched my cheeks.

"It was... my friend, Bucky."

Her mouth hung agape in shock. "The boy from Brooklyn?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"But how could be here?"

"I have the same clue as you, Ms. Smith. And I honestly want to know right now. He can't seem to remember me."

"Oh, poor Steven," she hugged me tight as I wrapped my arms around her stout figure. I honestly needed this right now. She pat my back. "Does Principal Fury know?"

"He does," we let go of the hug, her hands staying on my shoulders. "Even if I don't want Bucky to get in trouble."

"But you said he doesn't remember you."

"I know, but... I felt like he did. He stopped punching me after I called for him. And his eyes, I – " I was pacing around the room, anxiously swaying my hands as a gesture. "I swore he knew me."