6.6 : casey

▲▼

▲▼

     As her eyes fluttered open, the moonlight outside and the buzzing of crickets told her that she had waken up entirely too early. Her suspicions were proven correct when she looked over to her familiar bedside clock that read 3:45 a.m. Her headache still remained, making her bring a hand up to her head and shut her eyes.

She huffed out in frustration and looked around the room. The spot in the bed was empty, of course, as it had been for the past weeks. As she craned her neck to look around, the everlasting wound there shot a jolt of pain up her body. She cried out, alerting the person she didn't even notice was in the room.

Casey shot up from her desk, looking at her with wide eyes. His hair was a mess and he looked extremely tired, as if he had gotten no sleep that night. Below him were a bunch of books, notebooks, and pens, and before him was his laptop, dimly open on some webpage. He scrambled to close all of his notebooks and slammed the computer shut, turning back to her casually when he was done.

She closed her eyes and again and hugged herself, "Case, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I-I spent the night here," He muttered, rubbing his eyes, "They told me to make sure you were okay.."

"I'll be fine, I just.." Her sentence trailed off as her mind went completely blank. She didn't even know what she was trying to say. She sighed and began to toy with the white bed sheets covering her.

"Please don't cry," He begged her, sitting up straighter in his seat as his face contorted in concern.

She quickly shook her head and gave him a sad smile, "I'm done crying. I just have to get back in there-"

"Carmen." He cut her off, burying his face in his hands. "No. You can't go back in there."

"Of course I can-"

"No, you can't!" He exclaimed in exasperation, running a frustrated hand through his brown hair. "You've been gone for a month, Carmen. We spent weeks looking for you, thinking something happened to you, then we finally noticed Harrison disappeared too."

"I've been gone for a month?" She whispered to herself, "That means it's April.. And next month is May."

"Yeah?" He questioned, giving her a strange look. "Why does that matter?"

Because you're going to die.

"I was just thinking about if they'd let me graduate." She lied with a shrug, frowning afterwards, "I'm guessing my grades don't look the best right now."

"Scott got all of your absent work for you, it's over here." He pointed to a stack of paper on the desk, "But back to what I was saying. Ever since you came back with those scratch marks on your body, you haven't healed yet. That's obviously a problem- We can't just throw you back into hell without knowing what's wrong with you and how you even got them."