5.8 : confessions

"You have no idea what could have caused his freakout?" Scott questioned, leaning down on the metal table.

"Well, you didn't do anything to make him angry, did you?" Deaton turned to Carmen, who was sitting on one of the chairs on the side of the room, hugging herself nervously.

"Even if she did, it doesn't make sense why he would say that she killed him." Stiles pointed out, arms swinging around sporadically as he attempted to bring reason into the conversation.

"Technically he said we killed him, now that I think about it." Carmen shrugged, her eyes darting to the ground. "He said we killed him because we were nosy.. Whatever that means."

The vet's office room went silent as they all began to think about what this could mean. After a minute, Deaton finally spoke up.

"You've officially got me stumped." Deaton rubs at his temples in contemplation, "For once, I have absolutely no idea what's going on. For all we know, it may not even be supernatural."

"What do you mean?" Carmen sat up in her seat, leaning closer to listen.

Deaton smirks at the teenagers. "I know you two may think that since you're supernatural, you're better than humans. But the human body is capable of amazing things as well. This could merely be something mental."

Carmen shifts uncomfortably in her seat and gulps before speaking, "Well, whatever it is, I don't want to go home tonight. What if he tries to do it again?"

"It's getting late." Scott nods in agreement, "Do you wanna spend the night at my house?"

"You could just drop me off at Derek and Casey's, but thank you." Carmen smiles appreciatively, getting up to bring him into a hug. When they release and turn back to Deaton, he had his arms folded and the wrinkles of his forehead scrunched in deep thought.

"What is it?" Carmen asked, snapping him out of his trance.

Deaton waves a dismissive hand and gives them a reassuring smile, "Nothing, I was just.. I don't know. I'll let you all know if I figure something out."

The three nod and exit the office, waving goodbye to Deaton as they did. Stiles then got into his jeep and drove off without saying another word to them.

It was dark and creepy outside, with just the whizzing of cars and the slight drizzle pouring down the only noise around them. Carmen looked up at the stars and sighed, not even knowing what to think. It was all so confusing- Just when things had begun to get better.

"Carmen?" Scott calls, fastening his helmet on his head. He climbs onto his motorcycle and motions his way, "You coming?"

"Yeah," Carmen replied a bit too quickly, trotting over to mount the same bike. "Sorry."

Scott chuckles and revs up the bike, but before he takes off for Derek's loft, he takes a second to look back at her.

"Hey, he'll be okay, you know that right?" He whispers, casting his eyes downward. It was hard to tell if he was trying to convince her, or himself.

Carmen didn't reply- She only wrapped her arms around Scott to brace herself for the ride. She knew their luck was bound to run out sometime soon. What if this time, things weren't okay?

Scott noticed the look on her face and frowned, but didn't pester her about it. He turned back around, pulled back on the handles, and began to drive off towards their destination.

▲▼

Carmen raised a small fist to knock at the metal door of the loft- For the 5th time. She'd been standing at the door for 2 minutes now, and still, nobody had answered.