Leaving For Home

I dragged my suitcase out the front door and down the steps. I hadn't brought too much with me yet I felt like my suitcase was somehow heavier. Auntie May smiled at me, straightening up after watering the flowers. "Here, I'll get that," she said. She hauled it into the boot of the car, slamming it closed after.

Ro and Denny were sitting on the wall separating the garden from the rest of the street. They were sulking, their arms folded across their chests. They had told me they didn't want me to leave and said they still had so much more to show me. I sort of doubted that, but it was sweet of them. I glanced past them and saw three people walking towards the garden. Tina, Toby...ugh, and Chester.

"Hey Aria!" Tina called. She pulled away from Toby who had his arm around her, and ran into my arms. "Heading for home, huh?" She asked, hugging me tightly.
"Unfortunately. Gonna miss me?"
"Of course!" She stepped back, holding me at arm length. "You're gonna keep in contact, aren't you? If I don't hear from you in a week I'll be telling your auntie to nag you about it."
"What a threat!" I joked and she laughed. Then she glanced over her shoulder briefly at Toby who was watching us with amusement. "You know, I never thought I'd say this about a bad boy motorbike racer..." she whispered, turning back to me. "...But I really like him!"
"Yeah, you just be careful with that one," I warned and she grinned. I locked eyes with Toby and narrowed mine while he smirked. "Seen as I won't be here to keep an eye on you, my cousins will," I said and he raised an eyebrow as Denny struck an intimidating pose. Ro giggled, copying him.
"You know, I never thought I'd say it..." Toby sighed. "But I'm glad I threw that motorbike helmet at you that day. I met Tina through meeting you and...thanks."
When I started to smile he rolled his eyes, averting his gaze. "I guess..." he muttered.

Then Chester approached me and Tina walked back over to Toby, concealing a smile. "So, you're finally going home," Chester said, trying to keep his tone neutral.
"You just can't wait to get rid of me, huh?" I teased and he smirked.
"Oh yeah, you've been a major pain in the neck," he replied and I hit his arm. Then he hugged me and I buried my face in his chest. I took in a deep breath, smelling ocean air and motorbike fuel from his t-shirt. I didn't want to leave...not yet! He rocked me in his arms and whispered in my ear, "How am I meant to take you on a proper date now?"
"I'm not sure. We can watch a movie over Skype or something," I suggested and he laughed softly
"Great idea, city girl. Who knows, maybe I'll come visit you," he said.
"Have you ever even been to a city, seaside boy?" I asked.
"No...but it can't be that different, right?"

I laughed, smiling against him. "Promise me you'll keep in contact!" I whispered.
"I promise. But...uh, if I don't reply to a text right away I apologise in advance. I quite often lose my phone."
"Why does that not surprise me?"
He grinned, pulling back to look at my face. Then he gave me a quick kiss on the lips and I felt butterflies in my stomach like I had so many times before. "Ewww! Don't do that!" Denny exclaimed in disgust and Ro clapped delightedly.
"Both of you, in the car," Auntie May sighed, rolling her eyes. They raced to get in the car first and Denny moaned when he wasn't allowed in the front seat.

Then I gave Chester one last hasty hug and ran around to my car door. I waved with a smile then jumped in, slamming the door behind me. I strapped myself in then just sat there, staring out the window. "Have you got everything?" Auntie May asked.
"I wish I could say no so I could get back out the car but...Yeah, I do have everything," I nodded, a little disappointed.
"Alright, sweetie, let's get you to the train station. You can't miss the ride back."
I wish...

The car backed up out of the driveway and I rolled my window down, sticking my head out to wave goodbye again. My three (sort of two) friends smiled as I began to leave. Then Chester and Tina exchanged a glance and the two of them began to run after the car as we drove away, both of them screaming my name and leaving a confused looking Toby behind. I laughed as I watched them, shouting after them. I would miss them so much once I got home. But I would see them again, I was sure. That was okay for now.