A Stupid Argument

"Do we have to?" I moaned and Tina laughed.
"Of course! The fair will be brightly coloured so we need to be brightly coloured as well!" she insisted. Tina was taking me shopping for new clothes. Brightly coloured and more appropriate for nighttime dancing. "These are colourful!" I pointed out, holding up my wrist to show her my elastic bands.
"Not colourful enough," Tina rolled her eyes.

We entered a cool looking clothes shop with extravagant patterns and plenty of colour. Hung up on the racks were shorts covered in jewels, tie-dye tank tops, silk shawls, and sandals dotted with flowers. Everything was really pretty, I had to admit. "Ooh," Tina swiped a blue to purple tie-dye tank top from its hanger and held it up in front of me. "This would look cute on you! Why don't you try it on?"
"Really?" I took it from her, feeling the material. It wasn't the sort of thing I would usually wear. But then again, I was usually in a city. "Yeah! Pick out a few more things then we can got to the changing rooms!" Tina encouraged.

Was this what it was like to go shopping with a friend? I had only ever been shopping with my mum before. I mean, sure, I had friends back in the city, but they weren't really people I hung around with outside of school. I sighed, picking out another tank top. I liked this orange and white pattern more than the blue and purple. Then I found a pair of shorts I liked and Tina and I headed over to the changing rooms, both of us with clothes tucked under our arms.

I looked this way and that in the mirror. The clothes weren't too bad. A tight orange and white tank top and a pair of bejewelled shorts. The colours complimented my hair, I thought. My hair just brushed my shoulders, the mass curled in tight ringlets. I would need to do something with my hair the night of the fair. "You done?" Tina called and I pulled back the curtain with a grin.
"Yep. How do I look?" I struck a pose and she laughed, striking a pose of her own.
"Fabulous! The colours suit you. I'm not sure about me, my mum always said green didn't look too good on me," she said, glancing at her own reflection.
"I think it looks great!" I exclaimed.
"Thanks. Have you got money with you? If you don't I could buy everything."
"No no, I've got money!" I said hurriedly. "I don't think I really need the sandals, though," I glanced down at the pretty golden sandals I was wearing. My old ones would do, I didn't need an entirely new wardrobe. "Great! Let's pay and go for a coffee!"

Tina linked her arm through mine as we left the shop with plastic bags in our hands. "By the way. Toby asked me yesterday for your number-"
"He what?" I gasped. "You didn't give it to him did you?"
"Well..."
"Tina!" I exclaimed. "Why would you give him my number? Besides, I thought he had a thing for you!" Toby was the second most annoying person I'd met. Just below Chester, of course. Tina blushed and smiled sheepishly. "The number wasn't for him," she shrugged and at first I didn't know what she meant. Then it was my turn to blush.
"Who was it for?" I asked, my voice small.
"Who do you think? Chester wanted it," she replied.

I stopped in my tracks, putting my hands to my face to hide a blush. "Nooo..." I groaned and Tina stared at me in confusion.
"I thought you'd be pleased! You clearly like him-"
"No I don't!" I snapped, but that wasn't necessarily true. I could feel my heart beat getting faster every few seconds. "I'm sorry!" Tina exclaimed, hurt flashing in her eyes.
"It's fine..." I mumbled, but she could tell it wasn't. "Look, I'll see you tomorrow, yeah? You can come round to my house and we'll get ready there."
"Okay...Aria, I really am sorry," Tina said.
"It's fine," I repeated. Then I walked away, folding my arms over my chest.

Just then my phone pinged and I slid it out of my pocket to read the message. What do you know, it was Mr seaside boy himself.
Hey, city girl. Guess who?