Baking And Mail

"When will they be ready?" Ro whined from behind me.
"Have a look at the timer," I said, twisting around to look at her.
"But they've been in for hours!" Denny joined in.
"They've been in for five minutes!" I sighed. "Look, just go play right now."
The twins left the living room, grumbling to themselves and shoving each other.

Tina: Hey, you still there?
Me: Yeah, sorry. The twins are moaning about the cookies.
Tina: Lol. They sound like they moan a lot.
Me: They do.

Tina and I had been texting back and forward since I finished baking. We had exchanged numbers a little while ago but hadn't found an opportunity to talk yet. Tina had asked me if I was going to the fair in a few days. I replied that of course I would be, everyone was so hyped up about it. Stalls were already being set up on the pier along with a few small fairground rides. I couldn't wait, honestly.

Tina: Are you thinking about asking Chester to come with you? You know, like a date?
Me: Ew, no! Why would you think that? :(
Tina: Hahaha, just thought it would be a good idea. ;)
Me: Ugh, don't ever let me ask him on a date. I'd rather die!
Tina: You say that now but I've read enough books to know how this ends.
Me: >:(

I scowled to myself but couldn't help noticing how warm my cheeks felt. I combed my hair back from my face, hoping I hadn't gotten any flour in it. There was flour all over my clothes and arms, unfortunately. There was a loud bang from upstairs and I started, staring up with wide eyes. "You rotten brother!" Ro screeched and I rolled my eyes as Denny began to howl with laughter.

Me: Well, are you going with Toby?
Tina: Maybe.
Me: ...Really?
Tina: I might. I don't really know yet.
Me: I was kind of hoping we could go together. With the cousins of course. I can't leave them behind, unfortunately.
Tina: I'd love to go with you! :)
Me: Great! Hang on a minute there's someone at the door.

I stood up from my spot on the couch and flung my phone onto one of the pillows. Whoever it was knocked again and I hurried to the door, yanking it open. I was surprised to see Chester standing there and I was about to ask him what he was doing when he waved a newspaper at me. "I deliver newspapers, remember?" he reminded, clearly seeing the look of confusion on my face.
"Uh, yeah. But you can just put it through the door," I said, pointing to the letterbox.
"I could but..." he trailed off with a shrug then smirked at my clothes.
"Been doing some baking?" he asked.
"Yeah. Look Chester, about yesterday-"
"It's fine," Chester held a hand up to interrupt me. Then he pulled his arm back and swung it forward, flinging the newspaper over my shoulder like when we first met. He grinned then. "Have a nice day, city girl."

Once I was back inside and the door was safely closed I put my hands to my face in frustration. I heard footsteps down the stairs and I pushed my hair back from my face, locking eyes with my little cousins. "Are you okay, Aria?" Denny asked.
"Yes," I smiled, putting my hands on his shoulders. "Who wants to go check the cookies?"