A Trip To The Market

The stalls set up in the market were all beautiful. Colours from reds and oranges to purples and blues filled the area. Some stalls sparkled with jewellery, some stalls had objects more like knick-knacks. Visiting the market had always been one of my favourite things to do while I was here as a kid. Well, that and going to the fair when it came around. I stared around in awe for a while, walking slowly to get a quick glimpse at each stall. But my cousins had ants in their pants. They fidgeted impatiently and I eventually sighed. "Okay, if you promise to stay in the area you can go and have a look about yourselves. But stay in the area. Got that?" I asked and they nodded with wide grins. They dashed away, running into the distance, dodging between crowds.

I let out a long breath, glad to have some time away from them this morning. They could be so loud when they wanted to. I stopped by a stall filled with colourful masks. Some had intricate designs and were topped with beads and jewels, while others had nothing but colour and were covered in bright feathers and lace. I picked up a violet mask, the rim of the eyes decorated with silver ribbon and diamonds. I held it up to my face and looked in the little mirror sitting on the stall. It looked really nice. I didn't actually have a use for the mask but I had always enjoyed collecting cool souvenirs from this town whenever I came by. I payed the stall owner and slipped the mask into my handbag, moving onto the next stall.

Well, I was going to. Just then I heard him behind me. "Hey, city girl! Wait up!"
"Ugh..." I couldn't be bothered dealing with him today. Or ever again. I kept walking, hoping he would take the hint and leave me alone. But, of course he wasn't going to. "Hey! Where you going in such a hurry?" he asked smugly and I kept staring ahead.
"Away from you," I muttered and he laughed dryly.
"Of course you are. I'm too good for you to try and resist," he said, pleased with himself. I rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever you say."

I glanced down then and realised he wasn't walking right. It was like he was trying to put all of his weight on one foot. "Hey, are you limping?" I asked.
"Well, yeah, city girl-"
"Don't call me that!" I stopped walking abruptly, turning to face him.
"What should I call you then, city girl?" he asked with a smirk.
"How about, leave me alone?" I suggested and he rolled his eyes.
"Well then, leave me alone, I'm limping because you kicked me in the shin yesterday," he said and I remembered with a sudden embarrassment.
"Oh. It doesn't hurt too badly does it?" I asked and he tilted his head with a smile.
"What's that, city girl? You actually care?" he teased and I pulled a face at him, storming away. I heard him laugh behind me and then he was by my side again.

"It doesn't hurt too badly, just so you know. I've had worse," he said but I ignored him. When I continued not to say anything he swiftly stepped in my way and blocked me. "Hey," he said and I stopped in my tracks, crossing my arms. I tried to prevent myself from smiling: it was obvious he didn't like being ignored. "What is your name?" he queried and I raised an eyebrow.
"What's that, seaside boy? You actually care?" I asked and an expression of shock flashed across his face before he wiped it away again.
"Maybe. Just being polite?" he shrugged with a strange smile. There was something about that smile. Something that made my heart beat five times faster in my chest. "Ariadne Stephens," I said a little breathlessly. I hoped he thought it was because I was so exasperated by him and not something else. "Ariadne..." he repeated thoughtfully.

After a moment he shrugged, nodding. "That's cool, I guess. I'm Chester Preston."
"Chester Preston?" I echoed, feeling my face twist into a smile. He narrowed his eyes slightly, staring at me. "You got a problem with my name?" he asked.
No! Not at all!" I said, though it did sound a bit funny.
"Whatever..." he rolled his eyes.

Just then my little cousins approached us and they stared up at Chester with equally confused looks. He glanced down at them and put on an unsure smile. "Hi," he greeted and Ro smiled brightly. Denny didn't. He narrowed his eyes at him, his eyebrows furrowing. "Uh...Denny, are you going to-" I started to speak when he interrupted.
"Are you dating Aria?" he suddenly asked and I gaped at him.
"Denny!" I exclaimed and Ro squealed with laughter.
"I might be," Chester replied with a smirk and I turned on him.
"You what?" I demanded. Ro and Denny erupted, running around in circles and laughing. "Aria has a boyfriend! Aria has a boyfriend!" they shouted and I grabbed Denny, covering his mouth and pinning him against me.
"Shut up!" I hissed and Ro bounced over to me.
"I'm gonna go tell mum!" she said and began running through the crowd.
"Ro! Roxanne, you get back here right now!" I yelled but it was no use. Then Denny twisted out of my arms and ran after her, laughing maniacally.

I glared back at Chester who looked more than amused at the drama he had caused. "Why?" I asked and he shrugged, grinning. I stepped towards him as if I was about to kick him in the shin again and he spun around and ran in the opposite direction.