11. She's Down

"Soldiers! Line up!"

(Y/N) only had time to give Lafayette a small, "stay-safe" squeeze of hand before she was pushed away from him by the crowd. The Frenchman had returned the night previously, and was just as upset to allow her to follow through with Lee's plan as she'd expected. However, he put up little fuss when she firmly told him what she'd decided - most likely because of their last incident.

General Washington made sure she had her own horse (she shuddered at the thought of riding with Lee), and the small group set off to war.

"So, where's your family from?"

It was the same question Alex asked, but in a completely different manner. Lee was clearly asking whether her family had money enough for him to marry into.

"Around," she answered stiffly, gripping the reigns with her free hand.

They plodded on in silence.

When they reached their part of the battle line, Lee turned his horse to face them. "Dismount, men."

(Y/N) looked around at the other men, their faces startled, as they slowly did what he'd asked.

"What?" She wound the reigns tighter around her hand (an unfortunate habit that resulted in less blood flow) and stared at Lee in disbelief. "What if they are on horseback? What'll we do then?"

He shrugged, looking around uneasily.

She turned her horse to face the others. "We should stay on horseback," she told the men. "We can't afford to have a disadvantage when they attack."

"No!" Lee screeched, making her jump. He looked outraged, his face red in places. "Do what I say!"

Shrugging, she swung her leg over the horse and dismounted. Patting the horse's mane, she led him back to a tree out of firing range and tied him. At least he wouldn't get hurt by anyone's rash decisions.

When she joined the little group, Lee turned to face them.

"All of you, continue with the plan," Lee ordered. "(Y/N) - with me."

Crossing her arms, she followed him.

Worry crept into the back of her mind.

When whey were a ways away from the soldiers, Lee grabbed her shoulders and pushed her against a tree.

"Don't you dare - dare make a mockery out of me," he snarled, leaning in towards her. She could feel his hot breath on her face.

"Don't speak to me as though you were the true general here," she answered, pushing his hands away from her. The nerve, him going and giving lousy orders and then chastising her for disobeying them!

He picked himself up off of the ground.

Somehow, the look on his face was enough to terrify her more than she'd even been in her life.

She took a cautious step back, willing herself to keep calm. If she could just make some sort of signal, tell the others that something was wrong -

Her back thumped against the rough bark of a tree.

Trapped.

He advanced slowly, the tip of his gun gleaming in its holster.

He was inches away from her when they heard the cannon.

Lee snapped back, eyes wide with fear. Without a second glance at the girl, he ran off in the direction of the sound.

Not too eager to follow, (Y/N) brushed herself off with relief. She made a mental note not to tell anyone - Lafayette in particular - about what had happened.

Cautiously, she stepped away from the trees and in the direction Lee had gone, hoping it would lead her to the battle line.

It certainly did.

The battle was chaotic.

People were running around everywhere, completely out of formation. Apparently, while Lee was away, the groups had all decided to try and go against his strategies, but theirs were no better. The only advantage they'd have against the British at this point was the essence of confusion.

"Retreat! RETREAT!" She could hear Lee screaming at the men from below.

"No," she breathed. They couldn't lose - not now.

Adrenaline coursing through her veins, she ran as fast as she could down the little hill to the valley they were fighting in. Branches smacked her in the face, rocks flew from beneath her feet, but still she ran.

When she hit the bottom, she realized how much worse it was.

Hundreds of bodies littered the ground - it could have been thousands. Men were fighting recklessly, no rhyme or reason to their strategies.

(Y/N) weaved throughout the crowd. She had to find General Washington. Was he even here? She couldn't remember.

If she could just find someone. Alex. John.
Lafayette.

Oh, gosh. Were they all okay?

She pushed through one more crowd and suddenly found herself on the main battle front.

Red coats meeting blue.

(Y/N) felt the same sickening in her stomach she had before, though not as strong.

"RETREAT!" She heard Lee yelling from somewhere in the crowd. His voice echoed across the valley, pounding in her temples.
She turned to run back, to find someone, anyone, for help.

She turned and met the eyes of a British soldier just as he fired his musket.

His eyes widened in horror.

The same (E/C) eyes as her own.

Then the bullet met her arm, and she blacked out.

_____________

Yooooo sorry for another late update but hey at least it's here now✌🏼

I wrote this chapter so long ago and now I realize how awfully short it is so I'm very sorry bc I know how much everyone likes long chapters (me included haha). I usually try to make them at least 1000 words. I think this one's a little shorter for dramatic effect. (That happens with another chapter later on. Again, I'm sorry in advance.)

For anyone wondering when you will be getting more fluff, the answer is: soon. Very soon. ;)