7. She Learns to Dance

The next few weeks held a lot of the same routine, but a lot changed too.

Alex was no longer fighting alongside them. The General had personally asked him to be his right hand man (an honor which the others teased him endlessly about), and although he was glad to be recognized he was frustrated at the turn of events.

He might have mentioned something to Washington, because from then on (Y/N) wasn't put in the thick of the fighting. She didn't mind, but she wished he hadn't said anything about her.

A couple days later, Washington came out into the middle of the camp to make an announcement.

"Tomorrow we ride back to the training facility," he announced. "I predict there won't be much more fighting for now, anyway."

(Y/N) shivered. Good. Although they had coats, pants, and boots, the clothes they had weren't best suited from next-to-the-water New York winters.

They gathered up their luggage and tents. She found herself eager to get back to the facility - and when was the last time she had a decent bath? She couldn't remember.

In the morning, she quickly got ready and raced out to meet the rest of the soldiers. She was anxious to be on her way - the thought of a normal couple of days with her friends, not having to worry about the war, made her hungry for home.

As their horses plodded along the trail towards their training facility, she noticed Lafayette's arms were positioned in a way that they were almost wrapping around her waist. (Y/N) glanced over her shoulder and smiled when she saw him fast asleep against her back. She decided to let him rest - he probably needed it. And, which she would never admit to anyone, he looked pretty adorable like that.

She leaned her head back onto him slightly, settling in for the long journey ahead.

~~~

The bath felt better than she could have ever imagined.

That, plus brushing her hair properly and throwing on a completely new set of clothes, made her feel like a new person.

When she left the bathroom, she found the whole group sitting in various places throughout her room.

Just like old times.

She could feel emotion rising within her, but she fought to keep it down. She didn't deserve friends like these, and yet here they were. How had she gotten so lucky to land such wonderful friends?

And yet, in the back of her mind, there was that little nagging voice telling her, you know why you don't deserve them.

True friends don't keep secrets.

But if she told them she was supposed to be a British spy, would they even want to be friends anymore?

"(Y/N)!" Herc called, waving her over. "Took you long enough in there!"

She laughed, moving to sit between him and Lafayette. Was Lafayette looking at her closer than usual, or was it her imagination?

Stop it, she reprimanded herself. Stop thinking that.

But the truth was, she couldn't help it. Every time she saw him, her heart fluttered a little. Whenever he laughed, warmth trickled through her chest. It wasn't enough to make things awkward around him or the rest of the group, but she still sometimes wondered if they could tell at all.

Sometimes she wondered if he felt it too, but she tried not to think about that.

"Uh, hello?" Herc waved a hand over her eyes, snapping her out of her reverie. "Are you even paying attention over there, (Y/N)?"